World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

98th Bombardment Wing (World War II)

 

98th Bombardment Wing (World War II)

98th Bombardment Wing
Martin B-26B Marauder (42-96142). The aircraft was assigned to the 596th Bomb Squadron, 397th Bomb Group,98th Bomb Wing
Active 1923–1949
Country United States
Branch United States Army Air Forces
Role Medium Bomber Command and Control
Insignia
3d Bombardment Wing emblem

The 98th Bombardment Wing is an inactive United States Army Air Forces unit. Its last assignment was with the United States Air Force Reserve, based at Bedford Field, Massachusetts. It was inactivated on 27 June 1949.

Contents

  • History 1
    • Lineage 1.1
    • Assignments 1.2
    • Stations 1.3
    • Components 1.4
  • References 2
  • External links 3

History

As the 3d Wing, the unit was one of the original wings of the GHQ Air Force on 1 March 1935. It was formed in Texas, reassigned to Barksdale Field, Louisiana. Performed peacetime training operations. Assigned to MacDill Field, Florida, 1940 and assigned to USAAC Southeast Air District, becoming part of III Bomber Command just prior to World War II.

It was deployed to England and was reassigned to B-26 Marauders.

It was redesignated as the 98th Combat Bombardment Wing (Medium) in November 1943. The wing was reassigned to Ninth Air Force when 9th was reformed in England as tactical air force to support ground forces in upcoming invasion of France. Performed combat operations supporting allied ground forces until V-E Day

It served postwar as an Air Force reserve unit, 1947–1949.

Lineage

  • Authorized on the inactive list as 3d Wing on 24 March 1923
Redesignated as: 3d Attack Wing in 1929
Activated on 15 June 1932
Redesignated as 3d Wing in 1935
Redesignated 3d Bombardment Wing in 1940
Inactivated on 5 September 1941
  • Activated on 7 June 1942
Redesignated as: 98th Combat Bombardment Wing (Medium) in November 1943
Redesignated as: 98th Bombardment Wing (Medium) in June 1945
Inactivated on 27 November 1945.
  • Redesignated 3d Bombardment Wing (Light) and allotted to the reserve
Activated on 20 December 1946
Redesignated 3d Air Division (Bombardment) in April 1948
Inactivated on 27 June 1949

Assignments

Stations

Components

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
  • Johnson, David C. (1988), U.S. Army Air Forces Continental Airfields (ETO), D-Day to V-E Day; Research Division, USAF Historical Research Center, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.