World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Adventist Heritage Ministry

Article Id: WHEBN0008412888
Reproduction Date:

Title: Adventist Heritage Ministry  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: William Miller (preacher), Herbert E. Douglass, James R. Nix, Battle Creek, Michigan
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Adventist Heritage Ministry

Adventist Heritage Ministry (AHM) began on May 8, 1981 as Adventist Historic Properties, Inc., by several Adventist laypeople to help preserve Seventh-day Adventist historic sites. Shortly after its founding the organization adopted the motto, "The Past With a Future." The organization did not come under church ownership until 1988.

In 1984 AHM purchased 25 acres (100,000 m2) that was originally part of William Miller's farm in Low Hampton, New York. Included in this purchase was William Miller's house built in 1815 and nearby Ascension Rock, where local Millerites are reported to have waited for Christ's return on October 22, 1844. In 1985 the organization published the first issue of its periodical, the AHP Bulletin, containing updates and mailed to the organizations supporters.

In 1989 AHM purchased 17 acres (69,000 m2) near Port Gibson, New York. Three years later the organization purchased a barn that originally belonged to Luther Edson, Hiram Edson's father, dismantled it, and transported it to the Edson farm to be re-erected there.

In 1994 the organization's name was formally changed to "Adventist Heritage Ministry" and initial plans were laid for the development of a Historic Adventist Village consisting of nearly a three block area that included the home of James and Ellen White, the home of Deacon John and Betsey White, the Loughborough property, and the surrounding area.

In 2005 the organization purchased the home of Joseph Bates in Fairhaven, Massachusetts.

The organization is governed by a board of trustees elected by their constituent organization, the Ellen G. White Estate board of trustees.

Board Chairs: Lawrence E. Crandall, 1981-1988; Robert L. Dale, 1988-1997; James R. Nix, 1997-present.

Presidents: Lawrence E. Crandall, 1981-1991; James R. Nix, 1991-1995; Alice R. Voorheis, 1995-2001; Thomas R. Neslund, 2001-present.

See also

External links

  • Adventist Heritage Ministry official web site
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.