World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Agostino Gemelli University Polyclinic

Article Id: WHEBN0030874176
Reproduction Date:

Title: Agostino Gemelli University Polyclinic  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rector of Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore Schools, Hybrid operating room, Marianum College
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Agostino Gemelli University Polyclinic

The Agostino Gemelli Teaching Hospital (Italian: Policlinico Universitario Agostino Gemelli) is a large general hospital of 1,850 beds in Rome, Italy. It serves as the teaching hospital for the medical school of the Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (the largest privately owned university in Italy, founded in 1921 in Milan), and owes its name to the university founder, the Franciscan friar, physician and psychologist Agostino Gemelli.

History

Construction began in 1959 on the hill of Monte Mario in Rome, and the hospital opened its doors in July 1964. It provides free medical assistance as part of the Italian national health system as well as paid-for "private" assistance in hotel-style wards called "Solventi" (Italian for "Payers"), and includes facilities for basic and clinical research, on-site student residences, three canteens, three cafeterias, one restaurant, one bookshop, and two medical libraries.

Structure

Undergraduate and postgraduate education in Medicine & Surgery, Nursing sciences, Physiotherapy and a variety of other clinical subjects takes place at the hospital. Apart from student residences, the hospital consists of four buildings open to the public: the "Biological Institutes", the "Protected Health Residence", the combined "Institute of Infectious Diseases" and "Centre for the Medicine of Aging", and the main hospital building (the "Polyclinic"), which was significantly expanded in recent years by the addition of a new wing, where the Accident and Emergency department and most operating theatres were transferred, as well as several laboratories. The buildings are surrounded by parking lots and meadows. The original manorial villa, built long before the site was chosen to build the hospital and previously used as a convent, now serves as the Institute of Bioethics, as well as the main university Church.

Pope John Paul II

The Gemelli (which as the official hospital for the Pope keeps a suite of reserved rooms always available for him) became the focus of international attention during the pontificate of Benedict XVI), and Canadian filmmaker Damian Pettigrew. In June 2009 a statue of Pope John Paul II was unveiled in front of the hospital building.

External links

  • Official website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.