World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Air Material Command

Air Force Logistics Command

Air Force Logistics Command
Active 1944–1992
Country United States
Branch United States Army Air Forces (1944–1947)
United States Air Force (1947–1992)
Type Major Command
Role Logistics, Depot-Level aircraft maintenance
Garrison/HQ Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
Nickname AFLC

Air Force Logistics Command (AFLC) was a United States Air Force command. Its headquarters was located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. On July 1, 1992, AFLC and Air Force Systems Command were merged to form the Air Force Materiel Command, also located at Wright-Patterson AFB.

History

Lineage

  • Established as Army Air Forces Materiel and Services on July 14, 1944
Organized as a major command on July 17, 1944
Redesignated: Army Air Forces Technical Service Command on August 31, 1944
Redesignated: Air Technical Service Command on July 1, 1945
Redesignated: Air Materiel Command on March 9, 1946
Redesignated: Air Force Logistics Command on April 1, 1961
Inactivated on July 1, 1992

Operations

Although the logistics function can be traced before the earliest days of the Air Service, when the Equipment Division of the U.S. Army Signal Corps established a headquarters for its new Airplane Engineering Department at McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio, a World War I experimental engineering facility, the functional antecedents of Air Force Logistics Command (AFLC) usually are not traced beyond October 15, 1926, when the Materiel Division was set up near Dayton, Ohio. The Materiel Division, controlled by the Office of the Chief of the Air Corps (OCAC), possessed many characteristics of a major command. It brought together four major functions performed previously by three organizations: research and development (R&D), procurement, supply, and maintenance.

On December 11, 1941, with United States newly engaged in World War II, these four functions were divided between two organizations. The Materiel Command assumed responsibility for R&D and procurement, and the Air Service Command assumed the supply and maintenance functions. Placed under "AAF Materiel and Services" in July 1944, the two commands were subsequently abolished on August 31, 1944.

The functions of research and development and logistics were operated separately during World War II until they were reunited for several years in the late 1940s under Air Materiel Command. Then, in 1950, research and development were split off into a separate organization, the Air Research and Development Command.

In 1961, Air Materiel Command became the Air Force Logistics Command, while the Air Research and Development Command gained responsibility for weapon system acquisition and was renamed the Air Force Systems Command. On July 1, 1992, the Air Force Logistics Command and Air Force Systems Command were reintegrated to form the new Air Force Materiel Command.[1]

See also

  • Cheli Air Force Station

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.