World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Albertirsa

Albertirsa
Town
Albertirsa is located in Hungary
Albertirsa
Albertirsa
Coordinates:
Country  Hungary
Region Central Hungary
County Pest County
Sub region Ceglédi
Government
 • Mayor Fazekas László
Area
 • Total 72.96 km2 (28.17 sq mi)
Population (1 January 2008)
 • Total 12,348
 • Density 159.2/km2 (412/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 2730
Area code(s) +36 53
Website www.albertirsa.hu

Albertirsa (formerly Alberti-Irsa, Slovak: Irša) is a town in Ceglédi kistérség, Pest megye, and the middle of the Great Hungarian Plain. Although it has got its town status in 2003, it still has its village-scent that is so common for most of the inhabitations in the region.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Notable people 2
  • Points of interest 3
  • Twin cities and towns 4
  • External links 5

History

Initially Albertirsa was two separate inhabitations: Alberti and Irsa, having joined in 1950.

  • 1277: King Ladislaus IV mentions the name of Alberti (as Alberth) tenure in one of his charters
  • 1368: The chapter of Buda mentions Irsa (from Slavic *jelsa) as an inhabitation
  • 1597: Both villages got emptied after the 1241 Mongol invasion and the Ottoman conquest in the 16th century
  • September 29, 1711: Local landlord András Váracskay brings settlers to populate the grassland of Alberti-Irsa. 24 chariots of Slovak settlers arrive to Alberti
  • 1714: Royal endowment letter grants the ownership of Alberti to Márton Szeleczky
  • 1719: András Irsay has one third of Irsa of Pest shire
  • 1731: Beginning of mandatory lecturing for commons in local landlord funded school
  • 1784: Descendants of Márton Szeleczky attain the rights for Alberti to hold markets. This right also grants the market town title.
  • September 1, 1847: First train arrives
  • 1848: Hundreds joining to the 1848 Revolution after the recruitment speech of Kossuth at Cegléd
  • 1924: Civil School of Irsa founded
  • September 6, 1950: The two villages Alberti and Irsa are joined under the name of Albertirsa by an ordinance of the Ministry for Home Affairs
  • 1979: Inauguration of Hungary's first 750 kV substation south of Albertirsa
  • 1995: Gerje-Party Association founded
  • 1996: Inauguration of the new flag and symbol during the millennium festival
  • July 1, 2003: town status granted to Albertirsa, which has 11547 inhabitants this time

Notable people

Points of interest

Near Albertirsa, there is the only 750 kV-substation in Hungary. At it, the 750 kV-powerline from Zakhidnoukrainskaya in Ukraine ends. However this line is since 1995 out of service.

Twin cities and towns

Albertirsa is twinned:

External links

  • Albertirsa Official site
  • Google Maps satellite
  • Official website of the Town of Żnin - twin town in Poland
  • Aerialphotgraphs of Albertirsa

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.