World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Anna Valley

Article Id: WHEBN0020892477
Reproduction Date:

Title: Anna Valley  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Anna, List of places in Hampshire, Abbotts Ann, Upper Clatford
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Anna Valley

Coordinates: 51°11′36″N 1°30′01″W / 51.193219°N 1.500235°W / 51.193219; -1.500235

Anna Valley

Village shop
Hampshire
OS grid reference SU347443
District Test Valley
Shire county Hampshire
Region South East
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town ANDOVER
Postcode district SP11
Dialling code 01264
Police Hampshire
Fire Hampshire
Ambulance South Central
EU Parliament South East England
UK Parliament North West Hampshire
List of places
UK
England
Hampshire

Anna Valley is a village in Hampshire, United Kingdom. The settlement is a suburb of Andover, and is located approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south-west of the town centre.

The name 'Anna' derives from the Celtic river 'Anne' meaning 'Ash tree stream' now known as Pillhill Brook.

Taskers Iron Works opened here in 1809 and survived as a manufacturing industry until final closure in 1984. The site is now a modern housing development though there are still signs of Taskers influence in the village in the form of workmens houses, a line of terraced houses built for the workers and the former Taskers hall which is now private housing.

Originally much of the land occupied by the later foundry at the far end of the village was marsh land, known as Clatford Marsh. Robert Tasker noted the fact that the village had quarrying rights to chalk in the nearby hillside. By exploiting this right and quarrying an acre of chalk from the hillside it enabled the marshland to be filled with the quarried materials to act as foundations for the new Iron Foundry situated alongside the PillHill brook which would serve as a source of water power for the foundry. This chalk quarry is still very much in evidence though is now private property but can be seen from the road and a footpath that passes along the hillside behind the village leading to the Iron Age hillfort of Bury Hill.

On 20 November 1830 a mob of rioters came from Andover town, they smashed a bridge in Upper Clatford that carried the road over the river Anton and proceeded to vandalise and damage fixtures and equipment at the foundry. A number of arrests were made by a detachment of local Yeomanry and the Duke of Wellington Sir Arthur Wellesley sat on the board of assizes held at Winchester jail when the ringleaders were sentenced to be hanged and a number to be transported to Australia for their crimes.

Taskers in 1843 installed a new cast iron bridge in Upper Clatford that exists today carrying the road over the river Anton towards Church Lane. A later iron foot bridge was installed in Andover in 1851 to carry Ladies Walk over the new Micheldever road that was cut through the chalk hillside.

The village once had 2 public houses, one situated at the bottom of Sam Whites hill, on the road to Upper Clatford, the hill so being named for a former landlord of the pub. A second public house stood almost opposite Taskers works.

External links


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.