World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Antonello Gagini

Article Id: WHEBN0002811027
Reproduction Date:

Title: Antonello Gagini  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sicilian Baroque, Palermo Cathedral, 1478 births, 1536 deaths, Piazza Armerina Cathedral
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Antonello Gagini

Antonello Gagini

Antonello Gagini (1478–1536) was an Italian sculptor of the Renaissance, mainly active in Sicily and Calabria.

Antonello was a member of a family of sculptors and artisans, originally from Northern Italy, but active throughout Italy, including Genoa, Florence, and Rome. The family includes his father, Domenico (1449–1492), also a sculptor. Antonello had five sons who were sculptors: Antonio (or Antonino; 1510s-1574),[1] Fazio (1520s-1567), Giacomo (1517–1598), Giandomenico (1503-1560s), and Vicenzo (1527–1595).

Antonello was born in 1478 in Palermo, where the Gagini family had settled in 1463. Antonello is said to have aided Michelangelo[2] in the sculptural work on the massive tomb of Pope Julius II in San Pietro in Vincoli, a project now known for the statue of Moses.

One of Antonio Gagini's most notable works is the decorated arch in the Capella della Madonna in the Santuario dell'Annunziata in Trapani which he completed in 1537. Antonello also completed decorative ecclesiastical sculpture in the area of Messina. A large collection of his works including an Annunciation, Madonna with Child, Madonna of the Snow and the Appearance of the Cross to Constantine are now in the Palazzo Abatellis in Palermo. He worked also at the Cathedral of Palermo. Other works were destroyed during earthquakes. He helped train Giacomo del Duca.

References

  • Biography and works present at Palazzo Abatellis
  • Grove art encyclopedia entry

Notes

  1. ^ Some sources, such as Artnet Biography attribute this name to Antonello
  2. ^ Kruft, Hanno-Walter (1975). Antonello Gagini as Co-Author with Michelangelo on the Tomb of Pope Julius II. The Burlington Magazine, 117(870), 598-601.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.