World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Anzin-Saint-Aubin

Article Id: WHEBN0012858191
Reproduction Date:

Title: Anzin-Saint-Aubin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Arras, Urban Community of Arras
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Anzin-Saint-Aubin

Anzin-Saint-Aubin

Coat of arms
Anzin-Saint-Aubin
Anzin-Saint-Aubin

Coordinates: 50°18′54″N 2°44′43″E / 50.315°N 2.7453°E / 50.315; 2.7453Coordinates: 50°18′54″N 2°44′43″E / 50.315°N 2.7453°E / 50.315; 2.7453

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Arras
Canton Dainville
Intercommunality Arras
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) David Hecq
Area
 • Land1 5.13 km2 (1.98 sq mi)
Population (2009)
 • Population2 2,742
 • Population2 density 530/km2 (1,400/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62037 / 62223
Elevation 56–94 m (184–308 ft)
(avg. 68 m or 223 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Anzin-Saint-Aubin is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in northern France.

Geography

A suburb located 2 miles (3 km) northwest of Arras, at the junction of the D341, D60 and D64 roads, by the banks of the river Scarpe.

History

Anzin St. Aubin was formed from two villages: Saint Aubin, formerly Saint Aubin in the Marsh, on the road to Arras, by the Scarpe river and Anzin, on the same road, but further east, bordering on Arras.
The parish was created around the 12th century, with the church being built at Saint Aubin (the larger of the two villages).
The name of Anzin (Anzinum) appears around 866-870, that of Saint Aubin (Sancti Albini of Marex) only appears in 1154. In the 16th century, the abbey at Saint Vaast built a watermill at Anzin. This mill (its remains still exist) mostly manufactured oil but also gunpowder and paper.
During the years 1793–1794 the town became "the united brothers" under revolutionary leadership. The commune was first created in 1790 with the election of the first municipal council and the mayor, Noël Douchet, a 56-year-old farmer. All the property of the church was sold.
In the early 19th century, Anzin grew in population and many houses were built along the old Roman road, the Chausée Brunehaut.
The village was all but destroyed during World War I, having served as a base for soldiers and artillery. The church and the chateau were transformed into hospitals.
The population suffered again during the Second World War, from 1939 to 1945, as more people died in battle or in captivity, while others participated in the resistance or helping prisoners to escape.
Since 1950, the town has experienced strong growth as the numbers involved in farming declined. The population increased from 1052 inhabitants in 1970 to 2553 in 1990 and nearly 3000 in 2006. This is one of the largest growth rates in the Pas-de-Calais.

Population

Sights

  • The church of St. Aubin, dating from the seventeenth century.
  • The church of Sacré-coeur, dating from the nineteenth century.
  • The eighteenth-century chateau, nowadays the mairie.
  • The brightly painted water-tower.
  • Arras golf course.
  • The war memorial

See also

External links

  • Commonwealth War Graves Commission - Anzin St.Aubin
  • Official website of the commune (French)
  • Another website about the commune (French)
  • Anzin-Saint-Aubin on the Quid website (French)

References

  • INSEE commune file
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.