World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Asansol Airfield

Article Id: WHEBN0034471532
Reproduction Date:

Title: Asansol Airfield  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Hailakandi Airfield, Asansol, Guskhara Airfield, Nawadih Airfield, Sahmaw Airfield
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Asansol Airfield

Asansol Airfield

Asansol, India

Asansol Airfield is located in India airports
Asansol Airfield
Asansol Airfield
Asansol Airfield (India airports)
Coordinates
Type Military airfield
Site information
Controlled by Airports Authority of India
Site history
Built 1941
In use 1942-1945
Battles/wars Burma Campaign 1944-1945

Asansol Airfield is a former wartime Royal Air Force Station and later used by the United States Army Air Forces airfield in Asansol, India used during the Burma Campaign 1944-1945. It is located near Nigah village on NH 2/ Grand Trunk Road.

History

Established in 1941 by the Royal Air Force as a result of the Japanese conquest of Burma. On April 3, 1942 six USAAF 7th Bombardment Group B-17 Flying Fortress aircraft took off from Asansol Airfield to bomb warehouses and docks at Rangoon.

On April 6–7, 10 DC-3's of Pan American Airways begin hauling 30,000 gallons of fuel and 500 gallons of lubricants from Dum Dum Airport, Calcutta to Asansol for operations. This fuel, subsequently transferred via Dinjan Airfield, India to China, was for use by Lieutenant Colonel James H Doolittle's raiders when they landed in Chuchow, about 100 miles southwest of Shanghai, China after their attack on Japan. Doolittle Raiders never made Chuchow due to fuel shortages, aircraft subsequently lost.

In 1943, airfield turned over to USAAF. Initially used by 5318th Provisional Air Unit, beginning late 1943 operating P-51 Mustangs, B-25 Mitchell medium bombers and C-47 transports with Waco CG-4A gliders used for attacks in Burma. The unit tested the United States' first use of a helicopter in combat, six Sikorsky R-4s in May 1944. 1st Air Commando Group activated in May 1944. Used by 164th, 165th, 166th Liaison Squadrons, equipped with UC-64, L-5 observation aircraft, September–December 1944. Later used by 5th and 6th Fighter Squadrons, December 1944-June 1945 flying P-47 Thunderbolts.

Also used by 319th Troop Carrier Squadron, flying C-47s, September–December 1944. 1st ACG returned to United States, 6 October 1945.

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.