World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Atlanta, Birmingham and Atlantic Railway

Mangum Street embankment (from center top to center bottom of image) of the AB&A railroad west of Downtown Atlanta. Factory with smokestacks at top is at NW corner Northside Drive (then Davis) and Thurmond - "Blue" parking lot as of 2012.

The Atlanta, Birmingham and Atlantic Railway was formed in 1914 as a reorganization of the Atlanta, Birmingham and Atlantic Railroad, which had been created in 1905 to purchase the Montezuma, Georgia.

The railroad went into receivership in 1921 and was acquired by the Atlanta, Birmingham and Coast Railroad, which connected to their Louisville & Nashville Railroad division.

The Mangum Street embankment which ran north-south along Mangum Street (parallel to today's Northside Drive, but two blocks to the east), upon which trains reached the Atlanta terminus west of


  • , Vol. I. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing, 1921, pp. 70-71.History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama BiographyOwen, Thomas McAdory.

External links

  1. ^ (blog)Return to Atlanta"Before the Georgia Dome and World Congress Center",

References

The building was used as offices and passenger terminal for the AB&A in Atlanta is located at the corner of Fairlie and Walton Streets in downtown Atlanta. It is now used as offices for Central Atlanta Progress. The upper facade of the building retains the "Atlanta, Birmingham & Atlantic Railroad" stonework on two sides.

[1]

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.