World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Auldhouse

Article Id: WHEBN0012645787
Reproduction Date:

Title: Auldhouse  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Roughmussel, Port Dundas, Newbank, Glasgow, Springhill, Glasgow, Blochairn
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Auldhouse

Auldhouse
Scottish Gaelic: An Taigh Sean
Scots: Auldhoose
Auldhouse is located in Glasgow council area
Auldhouse
Auldhouse
 Auldhouse shown within Glasgow
OS grid reference
Council area Glasgow City Council
Lieutenancy area Glasgow
Country Scotland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town GLASGOW
Postcode district G43
Dialling code 0141
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK Parliament Glasgow South
Scottish Parliament Glasgow Cathcart
List of places
UK
Scotland
Glasgow

Auldhouse is a district in the Scottish city of Glasgow. It is situated south of the River Clyde along the banks of the Auldhouse Burn, a tributary of the White Cart Water.

The housing stock mostly consists of inter-war sandstone terraces and 1950's tenement housing.

History

The area takes its name from the former Auldhouse mansion, the oldest house in Glasgow's south side, dating from 1631. The house was extended and converted to apartments in 1983.

At the time of the Industrial Revolution, the waters of the Auldhouse Burn served the local cotton trade with bleachfields and dye-works associated with the textile mills of nearby Pollokshaws.

External links

  • Pollokshaws & Auldhouse - Illustrated Guide


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.