World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Babenhausen

Article Id: WHEBN0005469207
Reproduction Date:

Title: Babenhausen  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Darmstadt-Dieburg, List of dialling codes in Germany, Nikolaos Makarezos, Jewish Vocational School Masada in Darmstadt 1947-1948, Bundesstraße 26
Collection: Darmstadt-Dieburg
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Babenhausen

Babenhausen
Witch's tower
Witch's tower
Coat of arms of Babenhausen
Coat of arms
Babenhausen  is located in Germany
Babenhausen
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Hesse
Admin. region Darmstadt
District Darmstadt-Dieburg
Government
 • Mayor Gabriele Coutandin
Area
 • Total 66.87 km2 (25.82 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 15,669
 • Density 230/km2 (610/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 64832
Dialling codes 06073
Vehicle registration DA
Website www.babenhausen.de

Babenhausen (   ) is a town in the Darmstadt-Dieburg district, in Hesse, Germany.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • History 2
  • Politics 3
  • References 4

Geography

It is situated on the river Gersprenz, 25 km southeast of Frankfurt, and 14 km west of Aschaffenburg. South of its general borders, the mountain range of the Odenwald is situated about 15 km away. The landscape is rather flat due to the landscape forming process of the Gersprenz and other small rivers. Some sections along the Gersprenz are set aside as nature reserves with valuable plants and animals, e.g. the white stork or the kingfisher. The forests in the municipal area are mostly pine woods on ice-age dunes with heath fields. The sandy soil is regionally famous for growing white Asparagus (Spargel in German).

History

The town of Babenhausen includes a medieval core with a castle (12-13th century), numerous old houses and a large part of the city wall (1445). Babenhausen was chartered as a town in 1295. It belonged first to the Lords of Hagen-Münzenberg and was – after the last male descendant of this family died - inherited by the Lords of Hanau in the 13th century. In 1458 a minor line of them (first called Hanau-Babenhausen, later called Hanau-Lichtenberg ) founded an county (they had received the title of Graf [Earl] in 1429) on its own within the town and its district. In 1736 the last of the family died and the two potential inheritors, the Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt and the Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel) nearly went into a war over this inheritance. It took 35 years to settle the conflict and to arrange a compromise under which the town of Babenhausen came to Hesse-Kassel. But this was soon revised by the territorial rearrangements during and after Napoleonic times: From the beginning 19th century Babenhausen belonged to Hesse-Darmstadt. In the aftermath of World War II Babenhausen was the site of a UNRRA-sponsored DP camp.[2]

Politics

After the revision of districts and their borders in the state of Hesse in 1974 the following villages were added to the area of the town of Babenhausen.

  1. Harreshausen, a small village just one km away from Babenhausen. It has its own castle. At its edge, the "Schöne Eiche" ("beautiful oak"), the mother tree of all pyramidal oaks grafted from it, a variant of the pedunculate oak (Quercus robur), appeared as a mutation about 1600.
  2. Hergershausen, elected as the third most beautiful village in Hesse.
  3. Harpertshausen
  4. Sickenhofen
  5. Langstadt

The US military installation in Babenhausen, Babenhausen Kaserne, formerly home of the 41st Field Artillery Brigade and two Patriot Missile units (D and E Batteries) of the 5th Battalion 7th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, was closed and returned to the control of the German government in 2007. In the early '60s, it was the home of the 1st Missile Battalion 38th Artillery (Corporal) and its supporting Ordnance Detachment, the 157th Ord Det.

References

  1. ^ "Die Bevölkerung der hessischen Gemeinden".  
  2. ^ Photo No. 56521, Archives of the Ghetto Fighters' House
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.