World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Battery Park (Burlington, Vermont)

Article Id: WHEBN0004077841
Reproduction Date:

Title: Battery Park (Burlington, Vermont)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Burlington, Vermont, Battery Park (disambiguation), Battery, William Wells (general), Dan's Chocolates
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Battery Park (Burlington, Vermont)

Battery Park
Location Located at the top of Battery Street in downtown Burlington, Vermont
Area 14 acres (6 ha)
Created 1870
Etymology Built as a military camp during the War of 1812
Operated by City of Burlington Parks, Recreation & Waterfront
Website http://enjoyburlington.com/venue/battery-park/

Battery Park is a public park overlooking Lake Champlain at the western end of downtown Burlington, Vermont. The park includes a bandshell, a playground, and various monuments, including a bronze statue of Civil War veteran General William W. Wells, and a red oak sculpture of Chief Gray Lock, a veteran of Gray Lock's War.

History

Monument to Gray Lock's War veteran Chief Gray Lock by Peter Wolf Toth.

The park was named for the artillery stationed there by American forces during the War of 1812. On August 13, 1813, American gunners, aided by the USS President, successfully defended their position against an attack by a British squadron led by Lt Colonel John Murray.

The park land was deeded to the City of Burlington in 1870, and the Battery Park Extension was added to the southern end in 1972.

Trivia

  • Because of its unobstructed view high above Burlingon's harbor, Battery Park is a very popular spot for observers of the Independence Day fireworks launched from a barge in the bay.

Sources

  • Vermont Department of Parks and Recreation
  • President Lyndon B. Johnson's Remarks at Battery Park
  • Battle at Burlington (1813)


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.