World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bavarian D VIII

Article Id: WHEBN0018177371
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bavarian D VIII  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: D8, 98.6 (disambiguation), DRG renumbering plan for steam locomotives, Prussian T 9, Class 98, Richard von Helmholtz, Ranna–Auerbach railway, Palatine T 4.I
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Bavarian D VIII

Bavarian D VIII , AL Nr. 1–3, 5
DRG Class 98.6
ÖBB 891
Number(s): DRG 98 661…679
Quantity: 10
Manufacturer: Krauss
Year(s) of manufacture: 1888–1937
Retired: 1959
Wheel arrangement: 0-6-2
Axle arrangement: C1' n2t
Gauge: 1,435 mm
Length over buffers: 9,170/9,670 mm
Service weight: 43.3/47.5 t
Adhesive weight: 36.3/36.7 t
Axle load: 12.1/12.5 t t
Top speed: 45 km/h
Indicated Power: 315 kW
Driving wheel diameter: 1,006 mm
Trailing wheel diameter: 800 mm
No. of cylinders: 2
Cylinder bore: 390/406 mm
Piston stroke: 508 mm
Boiler Overpressure: 12 bar
Grate area: 1.60 m²
Evaporative heating area: 89.60/90.40 m²
Locomotive brakes: Riggenbach counter-pressure brakes, compressed-air brakes

The Bavarian Class D VIII (bayerische D VIII) were saturated steam locomotives with the Royal Bavarian State Railways (Königlich Bayerische Staatsbahn).


In 1888, new locomotives were needed for the Freilassing–Berchtesgaden railway, which has inclines of up to 40 per mille (4%). Krauss initially delivered three machines, that were given the railway numbers 904, 905 and 906. The powerful boiler required a carrying axle that, based on a suggestion by Richard von Helmholtz, was designed as a trailing axle in the form of a Krauss-Helmholtz bogie. Thus equipped the locomotives had good riding qualities on the faster downhill run that was carried out backwards, while, for the slower uphill journey, it was sufficient to have the front coupled axle in the lead.

Additional machines

In 1890 a further two locomotives were procured, followed by five more in 1893 (railway numbers 946, 947 and 1901–1905).

In 1898 four more machines were acquired (Nos. 1906–1909), for the Ammersee Railway and in 1903 another five. On these new engines the coal bunker lay behind the driver's cab, so that the distance between the third coupled axle and the trailing axle was increased by 200 mm and the total length of the locomotives by 500 mm. In addition, the Riggenbach counter-pressure brake from the first series was omitted. The boiler (apart from the location of the steam dome) and the running gear, and hence also the performance, remained unchanged.

The Palatinate Railway (Pfalzbahn) had received similar locomotives, the Class T 4.I, that however were somewhat smaller and had smaller driving and carrying wheels.

DRG Class

In 1925 the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft took over nine of the ten locomotives of the first series and all nine of the second redesignating them as the DRG Class 98.6 with nos. 98 661–669 and 98 671 and 98 679. The first series was retired by 1933, the second by about 1937.

After the Second World War one vehicle went to the Austrian Federal Railways (Österreichische Bundesbahnen or ÖBB) and was in service there until 1958 as ÖBB 891.01.

Augsburg Branch Line

The Augsburg branch line (Augsburger Localbahn or AL) bought three locomotives in 1913 from Krauss, that were the same as the D VIII's of the second series. The locomotives, numbered 1–3, performed very well on the, in places, very tight curves of the branch line, so that even in 1937 – based on drawings almost 40 years old – a fourth locomotive of this type was procured, this time from Krauss-Maffei. It was given the railway number 5.

Locomotive Nos. 1 and 3 were scrapped in 1957, nos. 2 and 5 were sold in 1956 to the Southern Chemical Factory (Südchemie-Werk) in Kelheim.

See also


  • Weisbrod, Bäzold, Obermayer: Das große Typenbuch deutscher Dampflokomotiven. Transpress Verlag ISBN 3-344-70751-5
  • Siegfried Baum: Die Augsburger Localbahn. EK-Verlag ISBN 3-88255-444-4

External links

  • There is a relevant English-language forum at Railways of Germany
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.