World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bellahouston

Article Id: WHEBN0002288704
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bellahouston  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bellahouston railway station, M8 motorway (Scotland), Pollokshields, Glasgow, Frank Lilley
Collection: Districts of Glasgow
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bellahouston

Bellahouston
Scottish Gaelic: Baile Ùistein
Bellahouston is located in Glasgow council area
Bellahouston
 Bellahouston shown within Glasgow
OS grid reference
Council area Glasgow City Council
Lieutenancy area Glasgow
Country Scotland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town GLASGOW
Postcode district G41
Dialling code 0141
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK Parliament Glasgow Central
Scottish Parliament Glasgow Southside
List of places
UK
Scotland
Glasgow

Bellahouston (Gaelic: Baile Ùistein) is a district in the southwest of the Scottish city of Glasgow. It is bordered by Dumbreck, Ibrox, Pollokshields, Craigton and Mosspark.

History

Bellahouston Estate in the parish of Govan was purchased in 1726 by James Rowan of Marylands and his family resided there until 1824. Upon the death of Thomas Rowan in that year, the estate passed to a relative by marriage, one Moses Steven of Polmadie. During his lifetime he increased the size of the estate, buying land at Weariston and a house and land at Dumbreck. The whole became known as Bellahouston. Upon the death of Moses in 1871, the Estate passed to his sisters who, according to his wishes, established a trust which would dedicate the estate for 'charitable, religious and educational purposes' within greater Glasgow. The trust became operative when Elizabeth Steven died in 1892.[1]

The Empire Exhibition, Scotland 1938 was held in Bellahouston Park and attracted over 13 million people.

The park has been the focal point of the visits by two popes to the city of Glasgow: On 1 June 1982 Pope John Paul II celebrated Mass attended by around 250,000 worshippers (reputedly the largest crowd ever assembled in Scotland). Twenty eight years later on 16 September 2010 Pope Benedict XVI celebrated Mass close to the same spot as his predecessor.

Bellahouston Park contains several sports facilities, including the Palace of Art, Sports for Excellence Centre, Bellahouston Sports Centre and the Glasgow Ski Centre (which is also home to Bellahouston Road Runners). The park also contains "House for an Art Lover" based on designs by architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, on which construction was completed in 1996. It was also the site of the futuristic Art Deco skyscraper, the Tait Tower, which was completed in 1938, but was subsequently demolished. Bellahouston is also home to the Bellahouston Sport Centre which has been renovated twice following two accidental fires. The latest revamp finished in 2001 means the centre now contains : Health Suite • Fitness Suite • Dance Studio • Main Pool • Leisure Pool • Flume • Outdoor Pool • Baby Pool • 2 x 5-court Sports Halls • Function Room • Gymnastics Centre • Crëche & Soft Play • Cafeteria • 2 Squash Courts. The swimming pools being the most notable new addition.

Rail

References

  1. ^ Malcolm, Sandra (2011). Old Bellahouston and Ibrox. Catrine, Ayrshire: Stenlake Publishing. p. 3.  


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.