World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Berlin Secession

Article Id: WHEBN0006534498
Reproduction Date:

Title: Berlin Secession  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bröhan Museum, Franz Skarbina, Bruno Paul, Fritz von Uhde, 1898 in art
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Berlin Secession

Jury for the Berlin Secession 1908 exhibition. From the left: sculptors Max Kruse, painters Max Liebermann (sitting), Emil Rudolf Weiß(de) and Lovis Corinth.

The Berlin Secession (German: Berliner Secession) was an art association founded by Berlin artists in 1898 as an alternative to the conservative state-run Association of Berlin Artists. That year the official salon jury rejected a landscape by Walter Leistikow, who was a key figure amongst a group of young artists interested in modern developments in art. Sixty-five young artists formed the initial membership of the Secession.

Max Liebermann was the Berlin Secession's first president, and he proposed to the Secession that Paul Cassirer and his cousin Bruno act as business managers.

In 1901 Bruno Cassirer resigned from the Secession, so that he could dedicate himself entirely to the Cassirer publishing firm. Paul took over the running of the Cassirer gallery, and supported various Secessionist artists including the sculptor Ernst Barlach and August Gaul, as well as promoting French Impressionism and Post-Impressionism.

The biggest conflict in the Berlin Secession was about the question if it should follow the new wave of Expressionism or not.

Notable members

Gallery

References

  1. ^ Siegfried & Dorothea Salzmann: Oskar Moll – Leben und Werk, München 1975, S. 63;
    Oskar Moll – Gemälde und Aquarelle, Ausst.-Kat, Landesmuseum Mainz, Mainz 1997, Michael Kirchner, Chronologie zu Leben und Werk, S. 9
  • Paret, Peter: The Berlin Secession. Modernism and its enemies in Imperial Germany, Harvard University Press 1980

External links

  • Media related to at Wikimedia Commons
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.