Blue Mosque of Tabriz

For other uses, see Blue Mosque (disambiguation).
The Blue Mosque of Tabrīz

مسجد کبود

Basic information
Location Iran Tabrīz, Iran
Geographic coordinates 38°04′24.91″N 46°18′03.88″E / 38.0735861°N 46.3010778°E / 38.0735861; 46.3010778Coordinates: 38°04′24.91″N 46°18′03.88″E / 38.0735861°N 46.3010778°E / 38.0735861; 46.3010778

Affiliation Shia Islam
Province East Azerbaijan Province
Municipality Tabrīz County
Architectural description
Architectural type Mosque
Completed 1465

The Blue Mosque (Persian: مسجد کبود‎ - Masjed-e Kabūd; Azerbaijani: Göy məscid) is a famous historic mosque in Tabrīz, Iran. The mosque and some other public buildings were constructed in 1465 upon the order of Jahan Shah, the ruler of Kara Koyunlu.

The mosque was severely damaged in an earthquake in 1779, leaving only the entrance iwan. Reconstruction began in 1973 by the late Reza Memaran Benam under the supervision of Iranian Ministry of Culture. However, the tiling is still incomplete.

History


The Blue mosque of Tabriz was built upon the order of Jahan Shah the ruler of Kara Koyunlu dynasty which made Tabriz the capital of his Kingdom. His Kingdom covered major parts of modern Iran, Azerbaijan, and Turkey. He was killed by Uzun Hassan (the ruler of Ak Koyunlu) and buried on the only parts of the mosque that survived.

The mausoleum was built in the southern section of the mosque and is entirely covered with high marble slabs on which verses from Quran are engraved in Thulth script on a background of fine arabesques. The roof of the mausoleum and the main dome chamber of the mosque collapsed during an earthquake in 1779 A.D. and was rebuilt in 1973 thanks to the efforts of Reza Memaran Benam (a famous architect from Tabriz) under the supervision of the national organization for preservation of ancient monuments.

Calligraphy

The diverse Kufic, and Thuluth scripts, the exquisite arabesque patterns, and the admirable choramatic compositions of these facades, which are truly stupendous, were created by Nematollah-ben-Mohammad-ol-Bavab, the famous calligrapher. The walls (inside & outside) had been covered with mosaic tiles.

Photo gallery

See also

References

  • Persian Bulletin of Blue Mosque, Iranian Cultural Heritages Organization.
  • http://www.eachto.ir

External links

  • Blue Mosque (Kaboud Mosque) introduction in UNESCO web site
  • Tishineh

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.