Bournemouth (UK Parliament constituency)

Coordinates: 50°43′19″N 1°52′44″W / 50.722°N 1.879°W / 50.722; -1.879

Bournemouth
Former Borough constituency
for the House of Commons
1918 (1918)1950 (1950)

Bournemouth is a former United Kingdom Parliamentary constituency. The seaside resort was created as a parliamentary borough in 1918 and the seat existed until it was divided in 1950. During the existence of the constituency it was the most south-westerly seat in Hampshire (although the border between Dorset and Hampshire was altered in the late twentieth century so the town was transferred to Dorset).

Boundaries

Before 1918 the County Borough of Bournemouth formed part of the Christchurch constituency. Under the Representation of the People Act 1918 Bournemouth became a single-member constituency, with the same borders as the then county borough.

To the west was the constituency of East Dorset, to the north was New Forest and Christchurch. The rest of the constituency bordered the English Channel.

In the 1950 redistribution of parliamentary seats, the Representation of the People Act 1948 provided for the division of Bournemouth (with the addition of the neighbouring town of Christchurch) into Bournemouth East and Christchurch and Bournemouth West.

Members of Parliament

Election Member Party
1918 Sir Henry Page Croft, Bt National
1921 Conservative
1940 by-election Sir Leonard Lyle, Bt. Conservative
1945 by-election Rt Hon. Brendan Bracken Conservative
1950 Constituency abolished

Elections

See also

References

  • Boundaries of Parliamentary Constituencies 1885-1972, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Reference Publications 1972)
  • British Parliamentary Election Results 1918-1949, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Macmillan Press, revised edition 1977)
  • Who's Who of British Members of Parliament, Volume III 1919-1945, edited by M. Stenton and S. Lees (Harvester Press 1979)
  • Who's Who of British Members of Parliament, Volume IV 1945-1979, edited by M. Stenton and S. Lees (Harvester Press 1981)


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.