Bowbridge crossing halt railway station

Bowbridge Crossing Halt was opened on the 1st May 1905 on what is now the Golden Valley Line between Kemble and Stroud. This line was opened in 1845 as the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway from Swindon to Gloucester and this was one of many small stations and halts built on this line for the local passenger service. This halt opened with the introduction of the GWR steam railmotor services between Stonehouse and Chalford.

The halt was between Brimscombe and Stroud, on the minor road "Butterow Hill" between Bowbridge and Rodborough Common. The halt originally consisted of a pair of ground level platforms and a wooden crossing, but the platforms were subsequently replaced by standard height platforms. GWR pagoda style shelters were provided but these were later replaced by rectangular metal shelters. Access to the halt was from the adjacent level crossing, and Electric treadles and bells were provided warning passengers and other pedestrians of trains approaching.

Closure of the halt came in November 1964 following the withdrawal of local stopping passenger services on the line. No trace of the halt remains today, but the wooden crossing still exists, approached with steps made from old railway sleepers.

Services

This halt was served by the Gloucester to Chalford local passenger services, known as the Chalford Auto.

|- style="text-align: center;" | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "| Ham Mill Halt
Station closed | style="background:#000080; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="text-align: center; border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway
Great Western Railway | style="background:#000080;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Stroud
Station closed

|}

References

Coordinates: 51°44′11″N 2°12′31″W / 51.7363°N 2.2087°W / 51.7363; -2.2087

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.