World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Bright Hockey Center

Alexander C. Bright Hockey Center
Former names Donald C. Watson Rink
(1956-1979)
Location Harvard University Athletics Complex
Soldiers Field Rd
Allston, MA
Owner Harvard University
Operator Harvard University
Capacity 2,850 (hockey)
Surface 204x87 ft (hockey)
Construction
Opened 1956
Renovated 1979
Tenants
Harvard University Crimson
(men's and women's hockey)
Boston Pride (NWHL)

The Alexander C. Bright Hockey Center is a 2,850-seat ice-hockey arena in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. It is home to the Harvard University Crimson men's and women's ice hockey teams. It is also home to the Boston Pride of the National Women's Hockey League. It is named for Alec Bright '19, a former hockey player.

Inside Bright Center

In 1956, the Donald C. Watson Rink was opened just north of Harvard Stadium at Soldiers Field, the area in the Allston neighborhood of Boston used by Harvard athletics, just across the Charles River from campus. The rink held approximately 2,000 people, but did not have many modern amenities. When plans were made to upgrade facilities, the $5-million cost became prohibitive, and the decision was made to renovate Watson Rink. In 1978, following the hockey season, the walls were removed and the roof was extended before the new arena itself was installed. After a season without a full-time home, the "new" arena opened on November 19, 1979, with an exhibition between Harvard and the 1980 USA Olympic hockey team.

In November 2006, Bright Arena was home to the 2006 Friendship Cup, the Cup's debut year. Team USA Alumni, Team Canada Alumni, Team Gazprom and the Boston Bruins Alumni team all participated in the event. The Bruins defeated Team USA, while Gazprom defeated Team Canada.

2008
2008

External links

  • 2005-06 Harvard Men's Hockey Media Guide
  • Directions




This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.