World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brightside railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0004527621
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brightside railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Attercliffe Road railway station, Sheffield District Railway, West Tinsley railway station, Catcliffe railway station, Ecclesfield West railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brightside railway station

Brightside
The remains of Brightside station in 2004. This photo is taken from the access footbridge just off Holywell Road.
Location
Place Brightside
Area City of Sheffield
Coordinates
Grid reference SK385907
Operations
Original company Sheffield and Rotherham Railway
Pre-grouping Midland Railway
Post-grouping LMSR
London Midland Region of British Railways
Platforms 2
History
1 November 1838 Opened
1995 Closed
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Brightside railway station is a disused railway station in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. The station served the communities of Brightside and Wincobank and was situated on the Midland Main Line on Holywell Road, lying between Attercliffe Road and Holmes railway station.

A 1912 Railway Clearing House Junction Diagram showing railways in the vicinity of Brightside (upper centre)

The station opened on 1 November 1838,[1] at the same time as the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway from Wicker station and had two platforms although four tracks went through. The two outside tracks were for freight use whilst the two inside tracks were used by both stopping and express trains.

The station in 1961

Despite the opening of Meadowhall Interchange in 1990, the station remained open until 1995. A limited service had continued in its last three years and the station closed without fanfare with a poster announcing that all remaining trains could be caught at Meadowhall.

The standard South Yorkshire style bus shelter that had replaced the station buildings by the early 1980s was removed in early 2006. A footbridge spans across the three remaining tracks and both sets of stairs to the platforms are boarded.

The footbridge remains open as it serves as a footpath from the bottom of Dearne Street to Station Lane steps.

References

  1. ^ Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 44.  


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.