World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brimeux

Article Id: WHEBN0012859458
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brimeux  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Royal Scots Greys, Arrondissement of Montreuil, List of medieval bridges in France, Horses in World War I
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brimeux

Brimeux

Coat of arms
Brimeux
Brimeux

Coordinates: 50°26′43″N 1°50′06″E / 50.4453°N 1.835°E / 50.4453; 1.835Coordinates: 50°26′43″N 1°50′06″E / 50.4453°N 1.835°E / 50.4453; 1.835

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Montreuil
Canton Campagne-lès-Hesdin
Intercommunality Val de Canche et d'Authie
Government
 • Mayor Régis Picque
Area
 • Land1 10.68 km2 (4.12 sq mi)
Population (2009)
 • Population2 762
 • Population2 density 71/km2 (180/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62177 / 62170
Elevation 6–84 m (20–276 ft)
(avg. 10 m or 33 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Brimeux is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region in northern France.

Geography

Brimeux is a village situated some 4 miles (7 km) southeast of Montreuil-sur-Mer on the D149 road, in the valley of the river Canche.

History

The village name first appears in 1042 in a royal charter and was then written Brivermacum, a Latin name from the Celtic for bridge. Over the years, it has had different spellings such as Brivamagus, Brivomagus, Brimeaus (in 1153), Brimodio and Brimodium (in 1154), Brimaus in 1226, Brimeul in 1415, Brimeu by 1499, and finally Brimeux, in 1704.

When peat was extracted at Brimeux, a 5 metre long wooden deck, a tin dish and flakes of flint were discovered, indicating that Brimeux had been inhabited before the arrival of the Romans.

Various objects of the Gallo-Roman era were unearthed during the construction of the railway station: coins; weights and the remains of a villa.

The area was ransacked by the invading Normans in 842.

There are traces of the motte of the feudal castle owned by the De Brimeu family, seigneurs of the village.

Sights

  • The church.

Built between 1495 and 1524 by the seigneur, Hugh de Melun, in flamboyant Gothic style. The nave was restored in 1860 by the architect Norman Clovis who gave it the character that we see today. The bell tower once housed 3 bells but now only has the one, the others having been confiscated in 1793

  • The war memorial erected in 1920.

Population

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Brimeux on the Quid website (French)
  • Cyclo Club Brimeux, cycling club of Brimeux
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.