Brimscombe bridge halt railway station

Brimscombe Bridge Halt was opened on the 1st February 1904 on what is now the Golden Valley Line between Kemble and Stroud. This line was opened in 1845 as the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway from Swindon to Gloucester and this was one of many small stations and halts built on this line for the local passenger service. This halt opened following the introduction of the GWR steam railmotor services between Stonehouse and Chalford. The halt was between Brimscombe and Stroud, and featured staggered platforms either side of the overbridge for the local road "Brimscombe Hill", with the down platform (towards Stroud) on the east side and the up platform (towards Kemble) on the west. Access to the basic wooden platforms was from the overbridge. Each with GWR pagoda style shelters soon after opening and electric lighting was installed in February 1939 at an estimated cost of £90.

Closure of the halt came in November 1964 following the withdrawal of local stopping passenger services on the line. No trace of the halt remains today, but there are some traces of the access paths.

Services

This halt was served by the Gloucester to Chalford local passenger services, known as the Chalford Auto.

|- style="text-align: center;" | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "| Brimscombe
Station closed | style="background:#000080; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="text-align: center; border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway
Great Western Railway | style="background:#000080;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Ham Mill Halt
Station closed

|}

References

Coordinates: 51°43′03″N 2°11′29″W / 51.7174°N 2.1913°W / 51.7174; -2.1913

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.