World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brimscombe railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0020948362
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brimscombe railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Thrupp and Brimscombe, Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway, Brimscombe Bridge Halt railway station, St Mary's Crossing Halt railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brimscombe railway station

Brimscombe
The station in 1961
Location
Place Brimscombe
Area Stroud
Coordinates

51°43′01″N 2°10′41″W / 51.7169°N 2.178°W / 51.7169; -2.178Coordinates: 51°43′01″N 2°10′41″W / 51.7169°N 2.178°W / 51.7169; -2.178

Grid reference SO877021
Operations
Original company Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway
Pre-grouping Great Western Railway
Post-grouping Great Western Railway
Platforms 2
History
1 June 1845 Opened as Brimscomb
circa June 1865 Renamed Brimscomb near Chalford
circa 1887 Renamed Brimscombe near Chalford
2 August 1897 Renamed Brimscombe
2 November 1964 Closed[1]
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Brimscombe was opened on 1 June 1845 on what is now the Golden Valley Line between Kemble and Stroud. This line was opened in 1845 as the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway from Swindon to Gloucester, and this station opened 3 weeks after the general opening of the line, originally as "Brimscomb". The station was renamed as "Brimscomb near Chalford" in June 1865 and finally to Brimscombe on 2 August 1897.

The main building was on the up side (towards Kemble) and consisted of a Brunel style chalet building with a large canopy and a bay window. On the down platform, a large waiting shelter with canopy was provided and a covered footbridge was provided in 1898 following the death of a young woman crossing the line. A large stone good shed with timber ends was provided along with several sidings at the west end of the station on up side. Originally, a small signal box stood at the west end of the down platform, but this was replaced with a new west box in July 1896 and an east box on the up platform in 1898, following the increase in freight traffic.

At the eastern end of up platform, a small engine shed with an integral water tower over the entrance was built. This was used by banking engines based at Brimscombe that assisted freight trains up the 1 in 75 Sapperton Bank beyond Chalford. The 1934 GWR locomotive allocation lists 2-6-2T 31xx class no.3171 as based at Brimscombe and in the 1960s this would have been a 2-6-2T of the 51xx or 61xx classes.

Closure of the station came on 2 November 1964 following the withdrawal of local stopping passenger services on the line. Goods traffic had ceased the previous year on 12 August 1963. Almost all traces of the station have gone and it appears that the adjacent A419 road has been realigned through the eastern side of the station.

Services

This halt was served by the Gloucester to Chalford local passenger services, known as the Chalford Auto.


References

|- style="text-align: center;" | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "| St Mary's Crossing Halt
Line open, station closed | style="background:#8f691e; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="text-align: center; border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway
Great Western Railway | style="background:#8f691e;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Brimscombe Bridge Halt
Line open, station closed |}

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.