World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brisco, Indiana

Article Id: WHEBN0008040146
Reproduction Date:

Title: Brisco, Indiana  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Warren County, Indiana, Pine Township, Warren County, Indiana, List of ghost towns in the United States, Brisco, List of cemeteries in Warren County, Indiana
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Brisco, Indiana

Brisco
Extinct town

Looking east toward the site of Brisco
Brisco
Brisco's location in Warren County
Coordinates:
Country United States
State Indiana
County Warren County
Township Pine Township
Elevation 204 m (669 ft)
ZIP code 47993
GNIS feature ID 0431533[1]

Brisco (or Briscoe) was a small town in Pine Township, Warren County, Indiana. It began in the 1850s and gained a one-room school in 1856, which operated until 1929. In 1930 the school building became a general store run for more than 50 years by local resident Jim Marquess. Never more than a tiny hamlet, Brisco almost entirely disappeared during the 20th century and now no longer appears on county maps, though the USGS cites it and a cemetery northeast of town still bears the name.

Geography

Brisco was located a quarter mile east of the intersection of County Road 650 North with U.S. Route 41, about 9 miles north-northwest of the county seat of Williamsport.

References

  1. ^ "Brisco". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-08-22. 
  • Warren County Historical Society. A History of Warren County, Indiana (175th Anniversary Edition) (2002).


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.