World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Broadway Theatre, Catford

Broadway Theatre
The Broadway Theatre
Address Rushey Green
Lewisham, London
Coordinates
Owner London Borough of Lewisham
Designation Grade II* listed
Type Receiving house
Capacity 800 seated (main)
100 seated (studio theatre)
Production Cinema, theatre, music and pantomime
Construction
Opened 1932
Architect Bradshaw Gass & Hope
Website
broadwaytheatre.org.uk

The Broadway Theatre, Catford is a theatre on Rushey Green, Catford in the London Borough of Lewisham. A grade II* listed building, the theatre was built in 1932 and is an example of Art Deco design. The architects were Bradshaw Gass & Hope; the slightly Gothic features were intended to relate to the adjacent Gothic Revival Town Hall which has since been demolished.[1]

It has two auditoriums, an 800-seat main theatre and a small 80-seat studio theatre. Its programme consists of a diverse mix of theatre and music, including a pantomime season featuring star names, stand up comedy, nostalgia shows, drama and children's theatre. The Broadway Theatre is particularly noted for presenting black theatre and is home to the black theatre company Blue Mountain. Since a refurbishment in 2001, it has also presented a regular programme of films, it has a residency with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and it is home to the Lewisham Youth Theatre. The Broadway theatre is owned by the London Borough of Lewisham, and its artistic director is Martin Costello.

Broadway Studio

The Broadway's Studio Theatre runs a continuous programme of productions featuring professional actors and directors. Since 2001's production of Ben Elton's Popcorn the studio has hosted numerous productions including Cabaret, Trainspotting, A Clockwork Orange and their critically acclaimed take on Frank McGuinness's Someone Who'll Watch Over Me.[2]

References

  1. ^ Theatre History accessed 18 September 2007
  2. ^ News Shopper review

External links

  • Broadway Theatre, London, Website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.