World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Brookfield Air Force Station

Brookfield Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Brookfield AFS is located in Ohio
Brookfield AFS
Brookfield AFS
Location of Brookfield AFS, Ohio
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Code ADC ID: P-62
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1952
In use 1952-1959
Garrison information
Garrison 662d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Emblem of the 662d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Brookfield Air Force Station is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 1.1 miles (1.8 km) south-southeast of Brookfield, Ohio. It was closed in 1959.

History

Brookfield Air Force Station constructed as part of the Air Defense Command permanent network it was opened in April 1952.

The 662d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron began operations with AN/FPS-3 and AN/FPS-5 radars, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes. This operation allowed Lashup site L-18 at Ravenna, OH, to shut down. In 1957 the AN/FPS-5 height-finder radar was replaced with an AN/FPS-4, and then the AN/FPS-4 was replaced with an AN/FPS-6 in 1958.

In addition to the main facility, Brookfield operated two unmanned AN/FPS-14 (P-62B) and AN/FPS-18 (P-62A) Gap Filler sites

  • Thompson, OH (P-62A)
  • Lewisville, OH (P-62B)

The P-62 site designation and the 662d Radar Squadron were transferred to Oakdale AFS, Pennsylvania, when radar operations ceased at Brookfield AFS on 1 Nov 1959 due to budget considerations. This site at Brookfield became a gap-filler radar site (RP-62E) for Oakdale. The Brookfield site operated as a gap-filler annex from Feb 1964 until June 1968. The GATR site (R-12) at Brookfield also remained in operation

After the site was closed by the military, the property was acquired by Trumbull County, Ohio, and the buildings were turned into the Trumbull County Nursing Home Facility. In the early 1980s, the nursing home was closed due to budget issues, and the Air Force closed down the R-12 GATR site. Today, the site is abandoned, with buildings in a severe state of decay. Roofs are collapsing, floors and roofs are caving in and concrete is deteriorating. Animals are frequently found in the buildings as well as the occasional human vandal.

In September 2012, the property was sold to a private entity. It is patrolled by the police, and it not open to the public The owners are not friendly to trespassers.

In 2011, Brookfield Police officiated the release for a student-made independent short film to be filmed on the premises which filmed primarily in summer of 2012. The set was of interest to the filmmakers due to its publicity from the infamous 1994 alleged UFO sightings.

Air Force units and assignments

Units

  • 662d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron,
Activated at Selfridge AFB, MI (L-17), 18 April 1950, not operational
Moved to Lashup site L-18 at Ravenna, OH, 1 January 1951
Moved to Brookfield AFS on 1 October 1951
Moved to Oakdale AFS, PA, 1 November 1959 when site inactivated.

Assignments

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.