World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Burt, County Donegal

Article Id: WHEBN0008296981
Reproduction Date:

Title: Burt, County Donegal  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Inishowen, Burt (disambiguation), Creeslough, Grianan of Aileach, RIAI Triennial Gold Medal, Natasha Nic Gairbheith
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Burt, County Donegal

Burt
Template:Pad top italic
Parish
Burt
Burt
Location in Ireland

Coordinates: 55°02′06″N 7°26′41″W / 55.034968°N 7.444668°W / 55.034968; -7.444668Coordinates: 55°02′06″N 7°26′41″W / 55.034968°N 7.444668°W / 55.034968; -7.444668

Country Ireland
Province Ulster
County County Donegal
Government
 • Dáil Éireann Donegal North–East
Time zone WET (UTC+0)
 • Summer (DST) IST (WEST) (UTC+1)

Burt (Irish: An Bheart) is a parish in County Donegal, Ireland, situated on the main road between Letterkenny and Derry, Northern Ireland.

Location


Located at the base of the Inishowen Peninsula, Burt is a parish and is part the Parish of Fahan. This is an area that holds a lot of history with the ancient Grianán of Aileach stone fort that dates back to 1700BC. On a clear day it is possible to see the hills of seven counties of Ireland from this view. The panorama of the Ulster coastline particularly Lough Swilly and Lough Foyle is most impressive. From Grianán hill you can see the extent of the reclaimed land at Inch Level which was enclosed by three embankments in 1856. The Burt Roman Catholic Chapel on N13 (European award winning design) was modelled after the Grianán of Aileach. The Presbyterian congregation nearby dates from 1673 but the present church was built in 1896.

Travellers along the main N13 road from Derry to Letterkenny also see the remains of the Burt Distillery with its stone chimney in use during the 18th and 19th centuries at Bohullion.

Burt Castle

Lough Swilly are the remains of an abbey or church at Grange. The churchyard at Grange contains some of the earliest grave stones in this area dating from 17th Century. On the walls of the old building are gravestones and tablets showing the graves of Rev. Andrew Ferguson Sen the second Presbyterian Minister of Burt 1690 to 1725 and also his son Rev. Andrew Ferguson Jun who succeeded his father as Minister of Burt from 1725 to 1787.

Notable people

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.