World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bushy House

Article Id: WHEBN0004449709
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bushy House  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Teddington, National Physical Laboratory (United Kingdom), Bushy Park, Savoy Palace, Old Ship, Richmond
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bushy House

Bushy House
East side of Bushy House in 1992
General information
Type House
Location Teddington, London, England
Coordinates
Construction started 1663 (1663)
Renovated 1713–1715
Client Edward Proger
Owner Part of National Physical Laboratory
Design and construction
Architect William Samwell
North side of Bushy House in 2007

Bushy House is a former royal residence in Teddington in South West London, on the site of the National Physical Laboratory, overlooking Bushy Park. Bushy House and 30 acres (120,000 m2) of surrounding Bushy Park land were proposed as a site for the National Physical Laboratory in 1900 after concerns about flooding of the previously proposed site in the Old Deer Park. The ground floor and basement levels of Bushy House were converted to laboratory space and Richard Glazebrook, the first director of NPL, and later other directors, used part of the building as private accommodation.

Today, Bushy House still contains a number of laboratories, two small museums that mainly contain old scientific equipment and several rooms used for meetings and conferences.

History

Bushy House was originally built in 1663 by William Samwell for Edward Proger, at a cost of £4000, as a keeper's lodge in what was at the time North Park. Proger had been made ranger of Bushy Park to reward him for his loyalty to King Charles II during his exile.

It was rebuilt and repaired by Lord North the Prime Minister.

Bushy House from an 1827 book illustration.

In 1797, after the death of both Lord North and his wife, the King was dead and that William was now king, William is said to have replied that he had 'always wished to sleep with a queen' and gone back to bed. As William had appointed her Ranger in her own right upon his accession, after William's death in 1837, Bushy House became Adelaide's official residence until her death in 1849.

East side of Bushy House in 1901/1902

In 1865, Queen Victoria offered Bushy House to the Duc de Nemours and other members of the exiled French royal family as they tried to restore the House of Bourbon. After his return to France in 1871, he kept Bushy House until 1897 in case he was forced to leave France again.

The new National Physical Laboratory was opened at Bushy house by the Prince of Wales (later [2]

Notes

  1. ^ Google Books The Story of Dorothy Jordan Armstrong, Clare & Jerrold, Bridgman Ayer Publishing, 1969 ISBN 0-405-08672-5, ISBN 978-0-405-08672-4
  2. ^ "The National Physical Laboratory" The Times (London). Thursday, 20 March 1902. (36720), p. 6.

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.