World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Carntyne

Article Id: WHEBN0002661236
Reproduction Date:

Title: Carntyne  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Carntyne railway station, Knightswood, Provanmill, Lady Well, Springboig
Collection: Districts of Glasgow
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Carntyne

Carntyne
Scottish Gaelic: Càrn an Teine
Scots: Cairntyne
 Carntyne shown within Glasgow
OS grid reference
Council area Glasgow City Council
Lieutenancy area Glasgow
Country Scotland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town GLASGOW
Postcode district G33
Dialling code 0141
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK Parliament Glasgow North East
Scottish Parliament Glasgow Provan
List of places
UK
Scotland
Glasgow
High Carntyne parish church

Carntyne (Càrn an Teine in Gaelic) is a district in the Scottish city of Glasgow. It is situated north of the River Clyde, and to the east end of the city. Carntyne may have derived its name from the Southern Picto-Scot Settlement of Cairn-ton, however Carntyne may be "fire cairn", from Càrn an Teine in the Gaelic, given the abundance of coal in the area.

The colliery was closed in 1875 and houses were built in the 1930s. The district is traditionally split into High and Lower Carntyne and has a largely ageing population. It is served by many amenities.

Mining

The Carntyne estate had long been celebrated for its almost inexhaustible seams of coal. These had been wrought by the Grays, from generation to generation, since about the year 1600. The Carntyne, or better known as "The Westmuir," Coalpits long afforded one of the chief sources of fuel-supply to Glasgow. In olden time, when people sought to illustrate profundity, they used to cite a then common expression - "As deep as Carntyne Heugh."

The first steam engine used in the West of Scotland for draining water from coal mines was erected at Carntyne in 1768. Previous to its erection, the water was for some time drawn off by the agency of a windmill, until it was blown to pieces in a great storm, long popularly described as "the Windy Saturday." In 1875, the colliery was finally abandoned, partly from the increase of water, partly from the increase of feuing.

Housing estate

The housing scheme which is now known as Carntyne was built during the inter-war years to provide more housing for the overcrowded population of inner Glasgow. At the time, it was at Glasgow's most easterly point and was built around the A8 to Edinburgh, and therefore the streets are named after places in Edinburgh: Marfield Street, Haymarket Street, Inverleith Street etc., with the exception of Carntyne Road and Carntyne Hall Road, the latter referring to the large house which stood in the centre of the district.

Upper Carntyne is one of the more affluent areas in the East End of Glasgow. Marfield Street runs through Carntyne and is suburban and leafy in nature.

Transport

The area is served by Carntyne railway station which provides links to Glasgow City Centre every 15 minutes. First Bus also operate frequent services, including the 41, 43, and 46 routes offering regular access to the City Centre, Easterhouse, Parkhead, and Castlemilk.

Religion

There are three churches: High Carntyne Church in the north, South Carntyne in the south, and St Bernadette's Church on Carntyne Road situated - opposite the north exit of Rigby Street.

Education

It is served by Carntyne Primary School (now within the boundaries of the district of Riddrie),

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.