World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Cattaraugus Cutlery Company

Article Id: WHEBN0017054811
Reproduction Date:

Title: Cattaraugus Cutlery Company  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Defunct companies based in New York, Knives, Taping knife, Aitor Knife Company, Fillet knife
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Cattaraugus Cutlery Company

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company building in Little Valley, New York in 2009

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company began as the New York distribution company J.B.F. Champlin and Son, founded by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. The Champlins expanded into knife production, and along with William R. Case and his brothers, they formed Cattaraugus Cutlery in 1886, based in Little Valley. The company hired expert cutlers from Germany, England, and other U.S. manufacturers, to produce high quality cutlery. Admiral Byrd selected Cattaraugus knives to take on his expedition to the South Pole.

Over time, the Case family separated from Cattaraugus to form W. R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co., incorporated in 1905. Cattaraugus closed business in 1963. A fire destroyed much of the building in August 2015; it had stood for several decades vacant (another business occupied the factory's office building, which remains standing, for a time in the 1970s) and had fallen into severe disrepair by the time of the fire.

Further reading

  • Ritchie, Roy and Ron Stewart. Cattaraugus Cutlery Co.: Identification and Values. Collector Books. 1999. ISBN 1-57432-137-4.

References

  • Case History. Case Pocket Knives. 2002. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
  • Guide to Cattaraugus Knives and Cattaraugus Knife Collecting. All About Pocket Knives. 2007. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
  • "Take Cattaraugus" Explorers Advised Admiral Byrd. Advertisement. Cattaraugus Cutlery Company.
  • Place, Rich (August 7, 2015). “Former Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. building goes up in flames.” Salamanca Press. Retrieved August 8, 2015.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.