World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Central Railroad of Pennsylvania

Central Railroad of Pennsylvania
Reporting mark CRP
Locale Easton, PA to Scranton, PA
Dates of operation August 5, 1946–1952
Successor CNJ,
later Lehigh Valley
Track gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge

The Central Railroad of Pennsylvania (reporting mark CRP) was an attempt by the Central Railroad of New Jersey to avoid certain New Jersey taxes on their Pennsylvania lines. The attempt to reduce New Jersey Corporate taxes failed, and CRP operations were merged back into those of the CNJ six years later.

History

Most of the Pennsylvania extension of the New Jersey Central (CNJ) was built by the founders of the Lehigh Gorge.

When gravity railroad, LC&N management knew they had much to learn about operating the LH&S so looked for an operating company to partner with to operate the line; subsequently, as was common practice for nearly a century with many of the nation's shortline railroads which were built primarily by local business boosters, it was leased to the CNJ in 1871 as their Lehigh and Susquehanna Division.

In the ensuing years, the CNJ would run a prestige express passenger service from New York City and Easton (Philadelphia connection) to Buffalo and points west (Great Lakes region) where they competed with the Lehigh Valley head to head, parallel tracks sometimes on the same bank or often on the opposite shore of the Susquehanna River.

By the 1940s the CNJ wished to avoid certain New Jersey taxes on its Pennsylvania lines. The Easton and Western Railroad, a short branch west of Easton, was renamed to the Central Railroad of Pennsylvania in 1944 and all Pennsylvania leases, primarily the LH&S, were transferred to it in 1946. The new company began operations August 5, 1946.[1] Around the same time, the CNJ logo was changed from "Central Railroad Company of New Jersey" to "Jersey Central Lines". The arrangement was struck down by the courts and, in 1952, CRP operations were merged back into the CNJ. In 1972, the CNJ's Lehigh and Susquehanna lease expired, and the CNJ's Pennsylvania lines were then operated by the Lehigh Valley Railroad.

External links

  • Black Diamonds to Tidewater - Central Railroad of New Jersey (details of the Pennsylvania lines)

References

  1. ^ "Luzerne County almanac, 1946". 1946. Retrieved 12 September 2013. 
  • Railfan.net Forums - Reporting Marks Question
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.