World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chūō-ku, Chiba

Article Id: WHEBN0006364076
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chūō-ku, Chiba  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Chiba Meitoku College, Shukutoku University, Hamano Station, Hon-Chiba Station, Sōbu Line (Rapid)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chūō-ku, Chiba

Chūō
中央区
Ward
Chūō Ward
Location of Chūō in
Location of Chūō in Chiba
Chūō is located in Japan
Chūō
Chūō
 
Coordinates:
Country Japan
Region Kantō
Prefecture Chiba
City Chiba
Area
 • Total 44.81 km2 (17.30 sq mi)
Population (April 2012)
 • Total 200,157
 • Density 4,500/km2 (12,000/sq mi)
Time zone Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)
Address 3-10-8 Chūō, Chūō-ku Chiba-shi, Chiba-ken
260-8733
Website Official website of Chūō-ku
Chūō Ward within Chiba
Chūō Ward Office (Dec 10, 2011)
Chiba prefectural offices
Chiba city office

Chūō Ward (中央区 Chūō-ku) is one of the six wards of the city of Chiba in Chiba Prefecture, Japan, and is the seat of the city government, and the location of the prefectural government offices for Chiba Prefecture. It is also the commercial center of Chiba. As of April 2012, the ward had an estimated population of 200,157 and a population density of 4,470 persons per km². The total area was 44.81 km², making it the most populous of the six wards of Chiba city.

Contents

  • Geography 1
    • Surrounding municipalities 1.1
  • History 2
  • Economy 3
  • Transportation 4
    • Railroads 4.1
    • Highways 4.2
  • Education 5
  • Local attractions 6
  • Noted people from Chūō Ward 7

Geography

Chūō Ward is located in southwestern Chiba city, facing Tokyo Bay. Much of the coastal area of the ward is built on reclaimed land.

Surrounding municipalities

History

The fortified residence (Inohana Castle) of the Chiba clan was located in the area of present-day Chūō Ward during the Kamakura period. The area was controlled by the Satomi clan during the Sengoku period, and was mostly tenryo territory ruled directly by the Tokugawa shogunate during the Edo period.

After the Meiji Restoration, the area of present-day Chūō Ward was divided on April 1, 1889 into the town of Chiba and villages of Soga, Miyako, Chishiro, and Oihama within Chiba District. Soga was raised to town status on May 23, 1890, and Chiba Town became Chiba City on January 1, 1921. On November 10, 1928, Oihama was raised to town status. The city of Chiba annexed Soga and Miyako on February 11, 1937, followed by Chishiro on February 11, 1944 and Oihama on February 11, 1955.

With the promotion of Chiba to a designated city with additional autonomy from Chiba prefecture and the central government on April 1, 1992, the city was divided into six wards, with the central ward designed Chūō Ward.

Economy

Chūō Ward is the center for industry and commerce for Chiba City. During the post-war era, the area developed largely as a company town to the neighboring steel works of Kawasaki Steel (JFE Steel Corporation).

Transportation

Railroads

Chiba-Chūō -Chibadera -Ōmoridai

Chiba • Chiba-kōen • Sakusabe • Tendai • Anagawa • Sports Center • Dōbutsukōen • Mitsuwadai • Tsuga • Sakuragi • Oguradai • Chishirodai-Kita • Chishirodai

Highways

Education

Local attractions

Noted people from Chūō Ward

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.