World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Chapeltown Central railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0007630550
Reproduction Date:

Title: Chapeltown Central railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Westwood railway station, Chapeltown, Nunnery engine shed, Ecclesfield East railway station, Grimesthorpe engine shed
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Chapeltown Central railway station

Chapeltown Central
Remains of the station in 1998
Location
Place Chapeltown
Area City of Sheffield
Coordinates
Grid reference
Operations
Pre-grouping South Yorkshire Railway
Platforms 2
History
? opened
1953 Closure to passengers
1954 Closure to all traffic
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Chapeltown Central railway station was situated on the former South Yorkshire Railway's Blackburn Valley line between Ecclesfield East and Westwood. The station which was also known as Chapeltown and Thorncliffe was intended to serve Chapeltown, South Yorkshire, England, although about 1 mile (1.6 km) from its centre. It also served the works of Newton, Chambers & Company, one of the largest industrial companies in the area.

The station consisted of two staggered platforms linked by a footbridge and was rebuilt in the M.S.& L.R.'s Double Pavilion style in the 1880s.

Closure to passengers came on 7 December 1953 and to all traffic in April 1954.

External links

  • Chapeltown Central station (shown closed) on navigable O. S. map
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.