World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Charlety Stadium

Article Id: WHEBN0005691353
Reproduction Date:

Title: Charlety Stadium  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1996 in sports, Josh Morris
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Charlety Stadium

Stade Sébastien Charléty
Stade Charléty
Built 1939
Opened 1939
Renovated 1994
Surface grass
Architect Bernard Zehrfuss
Capacity 20,000[1]
Tenants
Paris Saint-Germain Féminines
Paris FC (2007-2013)
Stade Français (2010–2013)

Stade Sebastien Charléty, known simply as Stade Charléty or just Charléty, is a multi-use stadium in the 13th arrondissement of Paris, France. Officially, the current capacity of the stadium is 20,000 people. The stadium opened in 1938 and was designed by French architect Bernard Zehrfuss. It has hosted many matches during various Rugby League World Cups and is the current home of Paris Saint-Germain Féminines who compete in the Division 1 Féminine and in the UEFA Women's Champions League. The stadium was serving as the temporary home for the Stade Français rugby union club, starting in 2010–11 and running through 2012–13, while that club was building a completely new stadium at the site of its traditional home, Stade Jean-Bouin. It also hosted Stade's home match in the Paris derby with Racing Métro in the 2009–10 season. Paris FC who compete in the Championnat National (the third tier of French football), used the stadium from 2007 to 2013.

There is a indoor sporting arena called Salle Pierre Charpy that is located under the stadium. The capacity of the arena is 1,850 people. It is currently the home arena of the French Pro A League professional volleyball team Paris Volley.

In May 1968, Charléty made the news for a nonsporting event: on 27 May, the meeting of the Union Nationale des Étudiants de France, one of the most important of the protests of that month, took place, attracting between 30,000 and 50,000 people. The crowd, led by Pierre Mendès-France and Michel Rocard, shouted "Ce n'est qu'un début, continuons le combat!" ("This is only the beginning; let's keep up the fight!")

Gallery

External links

  • Template:Sister-inline

References

Coordinates: 48°49′7″N 2°20′48″E / 48.81861°N 2.34667°E / 48.81861; 2.34667

Template:2000 RLWC Venues

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.