World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Charros de Jalisco

Article Id: WHEBN0040102560
Reproduction Date:

Title: Charros de Jalisco  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mexican Pacific League, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Guadalajara
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Charros de Jalisco

Charros de Jalisco
League Mexican Pacific League
Location Guadalajara
Ballpark Estadio Telmex de Atletismo
Year founded 2014
Former name(s) Algodoneros de Guasave
Ownership Armando Navarro,Guillermo Salles Arturo Blanco
Manager Juan Navarrete
Website .comcharrosjalisco

The Charros de Jalisco (English: Jalisco Horsemen) is a baseball team in the Mexican Pacific League, based in Guadalajara.

Their initial season was 2014–15. The franchise was previously the Algodoneros de Guasave. It was purchased in April, 2014 by a group of investors led by Armando Navarro, and moved to Guadalajara.

History

Professional baseball in Guadalajara originated with the Pozoleros de Jalisco, which competed in a now-defunct league in 1949. The team became the Charros in 1952, and competed in both the early Mexican League and the Mexican Pacific League.

The second incarnation of the Charros was from 1964 and 1975. This team won Mexican League championships in 1967 and 1971. They played at the Estadio Tecnologico de Béisbol of the University of Guadalajara, which had a capacity of 4,000 spectators.

Origin of the name

The team made a road trip to Chihuahua in its early history. During a stop in a small town, the players bought cowboy hats for protection from the bright sunlight. They were wearing these hats when they arrived at the destination, and were referred to as "charros".

First ballpark

The first home field for the Pozoleros/Charros was the Estadio Municipal in the Analco area, near the Agua Azul park. They played there 1949–52. This ballpark was demolished and replaced by a bus station, which is now a Federal office building.

Mexican League participation

The Charros competed in the Mexican League for twenty-one seasons, and won two championships.

The first title was in 1967; they defeated the Broncos de Reynosa in the final.

The second title was in 1971, under Manager Benjamín "Cananea" Reyes. They came back from a 0–3 deficit to defeat the Saraperos de Saltillo. Current owner Armando Navarro was Vice-President of the club at the time, and he worked closely with Guillermo Cosío Gaona in the club's management.

During the late stages of the franchise in the late 1980s and 1990s, they did some aggressive hiring, including former Dodgers star Fernando Valenzuela in 1992. However, the increased popularity of soccer and the poor condition of the Estadio Tecnologico led to the team's demise.

Mexican Pacific League participation

The Charros participated in the Mexican Pacific League in the 1952–53, 1953–54 and 1954–55 seasons. The league was known as the Liga de la Costa del Pacífico at that time.

The Charros returned to the Mexican Pacific League with the acquisition of the Algodoneros de Guasave franchise.

Players

Current Roster

External links

  • Official site

References

  • Official Facebook Page (in Spanish)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.