World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Christopher Dock Mennonite High School

Article Id: WHEBN0005839248
Reproduction Date:

Title: Christopher Dock Mennonite High School  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Norristown Area School District, Merion Mercy Academy, Cheltenham Township School District, Upper Dublin School District, La Salle College High School
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Christopher Dock Mennonite High School

The official school website

Christopher Dock Mennonite High School, also known as Christopher Dock High School, is a private high school in Towamencin Township, Pennsylvania that is affiliated with the Franconia Mennonite Conference of the Mennonite Church USA. The school was named after schoolmaster Christopher Dock of Skippack, Pennsylvania. Per year, Christopher Dock averages around 400 students, grades 9-12 from 20 different school districts, and 36 faculty members giving it a ratio of under 13 to 1.


  • Mission 1
  • Graduate profile 2
  • Timeline 3
  • References 4
  • External links 5


"Christopher Dock Mennonite High School, in partnership with the family and the church, seeks to develop the God-given abilities of students in preparation for Christopher Dock Mennonite High School, in partnership with the family and the church, seeks to develop the God-given abilities of students in a global society. Christopher Dock serves youth and families of Franconia Mennonite Conference, Eastern District Conference and those who share Anabaptist values."

Graduate profile

As schools providing an Anabaptist/Mennonite education, Penn View Christian School, Quakertown Christian School, and Christopher Dock Mennonite High School recognize that their graduates are in transition. The education process seeks to honor and develop the uniqueness of each student and his/her role within the community where gifts, talents, and learning are applied. To this end, a graduate of this educational system is a person who:


- values and demonstrates lifelong learning including skills of problem solving, problem posing, critical thinking, and cooperation.

- exhibits competency in the basic skills and knowledge of the academic disciplines.

- communicates effectively through speaking and writing.

- uses, recognizes, and appreciates creativity and artistic expression.

- incorporates available technology appropriately.


- embraces a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

- exhibits a growing life of discipleship.

- practices spiritual disciplines.

- discovers, defines, and develops her/his God-given gifts.

- cultivates a Christian worldview informed by Anabaptist/Mennonite theology and tradition.

- articulates his/her beliefs, values, and convictions clearly.

- accepts the scriptures as the Word of God and as the fully reliable and trustworthy standard for Christian faith and life.


- practices stewardship of all that God has entrusted to her/him.

- thinks and operates with a global perspective.

- promotes forgiveness, understanding, reconciliation, and non-violent resolution of conflict.

- participates in congregational/church life.

- respects diversity.

- models servanthood by participating in service opportunities.

- practices wellness of mind and body.

- values God’s Word, people, and creation.


Students of CDMHS sing Handel's "Messiah."

October 2, 1952 - Constitution of the proposed school approved and a Board of Trustees selected. Paul R. Clemens appointed as Board President.

December 8, 1952 - Richard Detweiler chosen as administrator for the proposed school.

January 1, 1953 - 40 acres (160,000 m2) of the Johnston farm on Forty Foot Road approved as school site and purchased for $57,570.

December 14, 1953 - H.M. Minniger given contract to make the "two barns" into classrooms, auditorium, and gymnasium.

January 11, 1954 - Edgar Clemens appointed as the first member of the faculty.

June 12, 1954 - $315 appropriated for starting a library.

August 2, 1954 - Reconstructed building named Grebel Hall.

September 15, 1954 - 115 students attend first day of classes.

December 19, 1954 - Dedication service for new school.

November 16, 1955 - School officially recognized by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.

September/October 1958 - Construction of pond and landscaping front of campus.

March 12, 1962 - "Knowledge With Reverence" made official school motto.

June 1963 - Harvey Bauman assumes responsibilities of principal as Richard Detweiler begins part-time role of superintendent.

December 8, 1963 - Dedication of the new multi-purpose building (named Clemens Center)

June 1965 - T. Carroll Moyer assumes responsibilities of principal as Richard Detweiler continues in a part-time role of superintendent.

June 11, 1966 - Lee M. Yoder inaugurated as superintendent.

January 8, 1971 - Accreditation by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

October 9–17, 1971 - Bicentennial Celebrations commemorating the man, Christopher Dock.

February 28, 1974 - Franconia Conference Assembly approves purchase of 108 acres (0.44 km2) of land adjoining the school at a cost of $1,000,000.

February 11, 1975 - Paul J. Miller named principal after serving as Acting Principal for one year.

October 29, 1978 - Dedication of new classroom building named Dielman Hall and music annex in Clemens Center.

April 19–22, 1979 - Twenty-Fifth Anniversary Celebration

June 1, 1979 - Elam J. Peachey named Principal.

1980-1981 - Student enrollment reaches all-time high of 421.

October 18, 1986 - Dedication of new kitchen facilities in Clemens Center.

June 10, 1990 - Food services director Emma Landis retires after 35 years of service.

July 1, 1990 - Elaine A. Moyer named principal after serving as acting principal for one year.

October 17, 1992 - Administration building named Detweiler House in honor of Richard Detweiler.

October 15, 1994 - Fortieth Anniversary Celebration, "Festival on Forty Foot".

February 2, 1997 - Dedication of Longacre Center, a multi-purpose activity center with double gymnasium, theater, fitness center, and classrooms.

September 12, 2000 - CD Board adopts a Long Range Plan for the next eight years.

October 12, 2002 - Dedication of Dock Stadium and three new classrooms in Clemens Center.

                - Mens soccer wins their first State Title (Single A)

June 2003 - Mr Kauffman retires from teaching after 45 years at Dock.

July 9–11, 2004 - 50th Anniversary Celebration.

June 2005 - Baseball team wins its first state championship.

July 2005 - Grebel Hall Demolished to make way for $12,000,000 Capital Improvement Campaign

August 2005 - New Art Center and Caretaker Cottage Opens

June 2006 - Baseball team wins second consecutive state title.

August 2006 - New Academic Center opens - named "Rosenberger Academic Center"

December 2006 - Refurbished Dielman Hall opens.

March 2007 - Beloved FACS teacher Jeanine Musselman passes away from brain cancer.

January 2009 - Principal Elaine Moyer announces she has accepted the position of Associate Director of Mennonite Education Agency, and will be concluding her service at the end of the school year. May 2009 - soccer team wins their 4th state championship August 2009 - Dr. Swartzentruber is named the new school Principal and begins his new post

June 2010 - Baseball team wins its third state championship in six seasons.

June 2015 - Notable Seniors Evan Trauger, Jenna Groff, and Madison Downes graduate with high honors.[1]


  1. ^

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.