World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Clady Circuit

Clady Circuit
Location County Antrim, Northern Ireland
Major events Ulster Grand Prix
Length 26.50 km (16.467 mi)
Turns 8+
Lap record 9' 21.00, 105.94 mph (Les Graham, MV Agusta, 1952)

Clady Circuit situated in County Antrim, Northern Ireland describes a motor-cycle road racing street circuit used for the Ulster Grand Prix. The Clady Circuit was used between 1922 and 1939 and an amended shorter circuit between 1947 and 1952.[1]

History

The Clady Circuit, (Irish: Clóidigh; i.e. Washing river) first used in 1922 for the Ulster Grand Prix was 20.5 miles (33 km) in length in County Antrim. The original course start line was situated near Loanends Primary School on the secondary B39 Antrim to Belfast Road. The event held on public roads closed for racing including the secondary B39 Seven Mile Straight between Antrim and Clady Corner including Christy's Brae, the primary A52 Belfast to Crumlin Road between Clady Corner and Thorn Cottage, a tertiary road north from Thorn Cottage to Greenmount near the town of Antrim (including a section of RAF Aldergrove) and from Greenmount to Muckamore Corner with the road junction of the B39 'Seven Mile Straight.'

The Clady Circuit was shortened in 1947 to a length of 16.647 miles (26.5 km) with the omission of the Aldergrove section from Thorn Cottage to Greenmore. The short Clady Circuit now ran from Clady Corner to Nutts Corner on the primary A52 Belfast to Crumlin Road and used a section of the primary A 26 Banbridge to Coleraine Road from Nutts Corner to Muckamore House near Antrim. For the 1953 racing season the Clady Circuit was abandoned for motor-cycle racing and the Ulster Grand Prix as part of the FIM Motorcycle Grand Prix World Championship was moved to the nearby Dundrod Circuit in Co Antrim.

Speed and Race Records

The lap record for the short Clady Circuit is 9 Minutes and 21 seconds at an average speed of 105.94 mph set by Les Graham riding a 500cc MV Agusta during the 1952 Ulster Grand Prix. The lap record for the 1922–1939 Clady Circuit is 12 minutes and 17.8 seconds at an average speed of 100.03 mph by Dorino Serafini riding a 500cc Gilera motor-cycle during the 1939 Ulster Grand Prix. The race record for the short Clady Circuit is an average speed of 99.79 mph set by Cromie McCandless riding a 500cc Gilera also during the 1952 Ulster Grand Prix.[2]

See also

Sources

Coordinates: 54°39′51″N 6°06′23″W / 54.66417°N 6.10639°W / 54.66417; -6.10639

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.