World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Clairmarais

Article Id: WHEBN0013008790
Reproduction Date:

Title: Clairmarais  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Thomas Mottershead, Arrondissement of Saint-Omer, Communauté d'agglomération de Saint-Omer, No. 209 Squadron RAF
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Clairmarais

Clairmarais

Romelaëre nature reserve
Clairmarais
Clairmarais

Coordinates: 50°46′27″N 2°18′03″E / 50.7742°N 2.3008°E / 50.7742; 2.3008Coordinates: 50°46′27″N 2°18′03″E / 50.7742°N 2.3008°E / 50.7742; 2.3008

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Saint-Omer
Canton Saint-Omer-Nord
Intercommunality Communauté d'agglomération de Saint-Omer
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Nicole Heneman
Area
 • Land1 18.02 km2 (6.96 sq mi)
Population (1999)
 • Population2 689
 • Population2 density 38/km2 (99/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62225 / 62500
Elevation 1–34 m (3.3–111.5 ft)
(avg. 9 m or 30 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Clairmarais is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

A farming village situated in reclaimed marshland, 2 miles (3 km) northeast of Saint-Omer, on the D209 road. The Neufosse Canal, which connects the Aa and Lys Rivers, passes by the commune.

Population

Historical population of Clairmarais
Year 196219681975198219901999
Population 397410480598687689
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

History

It owes its origin to the famous Cistercian abbey founded by St. Bernard in 1140. He gave the village the name of Claromarisco (later to be Clarus Mariscus and then Clermarez) because of the huge marshes and many rivers in the vicinity. The Dutch Klaarmares and West Flemish Cleremeersch names reflect the nature of the terrain, too.
Clairmarais became a fully-fledged common in 1790 when the abbey was going to be destroyed and sold as a national asset during the French Revolution.

Places of interest

  • The church of St.Bernard, dating from the nineteenth century.
  • A windmill.
  • Vestiges of the 13th century abbey including the remains of the entrance to the abbey with gatehouse buildings, a chapel and dovecote.
  • The eighteenth century Cistercian farm of Cloquette.
  • The cave of Notre-Dame de Lourdes which is host to a pilgrimage on August 15. It is the largest in France, north of the Seine.
  • The National nature reserve of Romelaëre.[1]

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • A Clairmarais website (French)
  • Another Clairmarais website (French)
  • Clairmarais on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.