World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0013008812
Reproduction Date:

Title: Clarques  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Saint-Omer, Communauté de communes de la Morinie
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia




Coat of arms

Coordinates: 50°38′50″N 2°16′42″E / 50.6472°N 2.2783°E / 50.6472; 2.2783Coordinates: 50°38′50″N 2°16′42″E / 50.6472°N 2.2783°E / 50.6472; 2.2783

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Saint-Omer
Canton Aire-sur-la-Lys
Intercommunality Communauté de communes de la Morinie
 • Mayor (2001–2008) René Allouchery
 • Land1 6.96 km2 (2.69 sq mi)
Population (1999)
 • Population2 233
 • Population2 density 33/km2 (87/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62226 / 62129
Elevation 29–97 m (95–318 ft)
(avg. 66 m or 217 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Clarques is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.


A farming village situated 8 miles (13 km) south of Saint-Omer, on the D190 and D192 road junction. The A26 autoroute passes by the commune just 200 yards (180 m) away.


Historical population of Clarques
Year 196219681975198219901999
Population 234254238206231233
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

Places of interest

  • The church of St.Martin, dating from the seventeenth century.
  • The remains of two abbeys: The Benedictine abbey of Saint-Jean-au-Mont, founded in 1080 by Hubert, Bishop of Thérouanne, was destroyed in 1537 during military operations and the community took refuge at Ypres. The other abbey was founded in 1131 as an Augustinian (Premonstratensian order) by Milon, Bishop of Thérouanne, which survived until the French Revolution.
  • A watermill
  • A chateau

The present chateau was built in the early 1780s by Augustin Titelouze de Gournay, a king’s musketeer, before his marriage to Marie-Therese de Feuchin in 1788. The house was enlarged in 1905 by Joseph de Gournay from the plans of architect Lillois Vilain, adding the protruding wings.

See also


  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Clarques on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.