Club de pescadores

The Club de Pescadores (Spanish: Fisherman's Club) is situated on the banks of the Río de la Plata in Costanera Norte Avenue, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The Club was founded in 1903 on an old pier built by a French company who used to tie up their coal boats there and discharge the coal into railway wagons waiting alongside. Some time later, when this activity had ceased and the condition of the pier had deteriorated, the fishermen who met there to practice their sport, decided to carry out repairs to the pier and to build a small shelter where they could store their belongings. On 10 August 1905 a violent storm on the river destroyed the pier. Despite this, club members were not put off and later continued their activities which by now included the organisation of regular fishing competitions.

In 1926 a plan was initiated to construct a new pier with a building on it to house the social activities of the club. This received presidential consent in 1928 and construction of the pier was completed in 1930. The building on the pier, still in existence today, was designed by José N. Quartino and officially opened on 16 January 1937 in the presence the Argentina president General Agustín P. Justo.

Declared a national historic monument in 2001, the building has become an icon of the city of Buenos Aires.

References

  • Monumentos Históricos Nacionales y Bienes Declarados de la República Argentina, Comisión Nacional de Museos y de Monumentos y Lugares Históricos de la República Argentina, Edición 2008.

External links

  • Official Website

Coordinates: 34°33′47.8″S 58°24′12.5″W / 34.563278°S 58.403472°W / -34.563278; -58.403472

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.