World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Corky Row Historic District

Article Id: WHEBN0018526496
Reproduction Date:

Title: Corky Row Historic District  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: National Register of Historic Places listings in Fall River, Massachusetts, Truesdale Hospital, Lower Highlands Historic District, List of mills in Fall River, Massachusetts
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Corky Row Historic District

Corky Row Historic District
Andrew Borden House, 230 Second Street, part of Corky Row Historic District
Location Fall River, Massachusetts
Architectural style Early Republic, Greek Revival
Governing body State
MPS Fall River MRA
NRHP Reference #


Added to NRHP June 23, 1983

Corky Row Historic District is a historic district located in Fall River, Massachusetts bounded by Plymouth Avenue, Interstate-195 and Second Street. The district contains a large number of early multi-family mill tenement houses, along with the Davol Mills, the Tecumseh Mill No. 1 and several commercial properties.

Perhaps the most famous property listed within the Corky Row Historic District is the house of Andrew J. Borden, located at 230 Second Street. This house was the scene of the infamous 1892 double ax-murder of Mr. Borden and his wife, which led to the trial and acquittal of Andrew's daughter, Lizzie Borden. Today, the house has been restored as a bed-and-breakfast.

The district contains over 400 structures with an area of 96 acres (390,000 m2) and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.

Historical background

The Corky Row neighborhood was developed between 1840 and 1870 and represents the second major phase of expansion within the city of Fall River.[2] Largely settled by Irish immigrants who came to work in the city's burgeoning textile industry. The historic district contains dozens of four- and six- family apartment houses, known as triple deckers, many built by the new cotton mills constructed during the 1860s: the Tecumseh, Davol and Robeson Mills, located along Hartwell Street on the eastern edge of the historic district.

Today, the neighborhood contains a mix of residential and commercial uses, including recent developments along Plymouth Avenue, Hartwell Street and along Second and Rodman Streets. The Tecumseh Mill was converted into housing in the 1980s. The Robeson Mills (also known as Luther Manufacturing) were demolished in the 1990s for what is now Applebee's, Walgreens and a more recently built convenience store and gas station at the corner of Rodman Street and Hartwell.

The Corky Row Club, located on Third Street was established in 1938 as an Irish social club.[3] The James T. Griffin playground, located within a few blocks of the Corky Row Club, was named for one of the first to be killed in world war two from the area.[4]

Contributing properties


Houses (partial listing)

  • Andrew J. Borden House (1845), 230 Second Street
  • Benjamin Kellogg House (1874), 14-20 Brow Street
  • Tecumseh Mill Housing (1866), 300-308 Fifth Street
  • Davol Mill Housing (1870), 367-371 Fifth Street
  • Moses Dean House (1877), 201-203 Fourth Street
  • Jeremiah Shea House (1885), 486 Fourth Street
  • Thomas Gormley House (1881), 825 Plymouth Avenue


  • Giesow Building (1894), 120 Third Street
  • Flat Iron Building (1908), 878-892 Second Street
  • St. Mary's School (1906), 467 Spring Street
  • Neill's Hotel (1899), 255 Third Street



See also


  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  
  2. ^ A Guide Book to Fall River's National Register Properties, 1984, p.16
  3. ^ About the Corky Row Club
  4. ^ Monuments and Markers within the City of Fall River
  5. ^ A Guide Book to Fall River's National Register Properties, 1984, p.19-49
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.