World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Crescent Station, New York

Article Id: WHEBN0004205340
Reproduction Date:

Title: Crescent Station, New York  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Boght Corners, New York, Dunsbach Ferry, New York, Albany County, New York, Colonie, New York, Castle Island (New York)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Crescent Station, New York

Crescent Station
Hamlet
Official name: Crescent Station, New York
Name origin: railroad station named for nearest hamlet- Crescent in Saratoga County
Country United States
State New York
Region Capital District
County Albany
Municipality Town of Colonie
Coordinates
Timezone EST (UTC-5)
 - summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
ZIP Code 12047
Area code 518
Location of Crescent Station within the state of New York

Crescent Station is a hamlet of the town of Colonie in Albany County, New York that straddles US Route 9.

History

Crescent Station takes its name from a stop on the Schenectady and Troy Railroad (T&S), later a branch of the New York Central Railroad. The T&S Line was completed in 1842, and owned by the nearby city of Troy. Passenger service ended in 1942, though a Ford tractor branch in Crescent continued to receive service. In 1965, service between Crescent Station and Niskayuna was cut, and then when the Green Island Bridge was converted from rail to automobile use service was cut to Troy in 1958. Service between Crescent Station and Green Island was abandoned in 1976. It is now part of the Mohawk Hudson Hike/Bike Trail.[1]

Geography

Colonie's town landfill is located at the north end of the hamlet, near the border with Cohoes and the Mohawk River. The Colonie Town Park is to the west, between Crescent Station and the Colonie hamlet of Dunsbach Ferry.

Location

References

  1. ^ "The Troy and Schenectady: Now it is a Bike Path". Kingly Heirs. Retrieved 2010-02-05. 

External links

  • Town of Colonie (includes Crescent Station)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.