World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Criccieth Castle

Article Id: WHEBN0000206606
Reproduction Date:

Title: Criccieth Castle  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Castell y Bere, Llywelyn the Great, List of Cadw properties, Caernarfon Castle, Owain Goch ap Gruffydd
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Criccieth Castle

Criccieth Castle
Part of Gwynedd
Criccieth, North Wales
The remains of the great gatehouse at Criccieth Castle.
Criccieth Castle is located in Wales
Criccieth Castle
Coordinates
Type Enclosure Castle
Site information
Controlled by Cadw
Condition Ruinous
Site history
Built c.1230-1280s
Built by Llywelyn the Great
Llywelyn ap Gruffudd
James of St George
In use Open to public
Materials Siltstone
Events Welsh Wars
Prince Madoc's Rebellion
Owain Glyndŵr rebellion
Listed Building – Grade I

Criccieth Castle (Welsh: Castell Cricieth) is a native Welsh castle situated on the headland between two beaches in Criccieth, Gwynedd, in North Wales, on a rocky peninsula overlooking Tremadog Bay. It was built by Llywelyn the Great of the kingdom of Gwynedd but it was heavily modified following its capture by English forces of Edward I in the late 13th century.

Contents

  • Construction 1
  • History 2
  • Present day 3
  • See also 4
  • External links 5

Construction

Although the stone castle was begun in the 1230s, there were three main building phases plus several periods of remodelling. The earliest part of the masonry castle is the inner ward which was started by Llywelyn the Great. Unlike most other Welsh native strongholds, the inner ward at Criccieth was protected by a twin D-shaped towered gateway that was protected by a gate and portcullis, with murder holes in the passage, and outward facing arrowslits in each tower. A design that might have been copied from English designs on the Marches such as Beeston Castle, Cheshire or Montgomery Castle, Shropshire. The two towers of the gatehouse provided accommodation and their height was later raised in the Edwardian period. The castle's well was also in the gatehouse passage which was supplied by a spring fed cistern.

In the 1260s or 1270s, an outer ward was added during the second building phase under Llywelyn ap Gruffudd. A new gateway was added in the outer curtain with a large two-storey rectangular tower. The castle, although not a proper concentric design, now had two circuits of circular defences.

Criccieth was taken by English forces in 1283. Under siege engine. The gatehouse had another storey added and several Welsh mural towers were strengthened. An outer barbican was added to the outer curtain wall.

Under Welsh stewardship, the principal residence was in the SW tower but when the castle was taken over by the English, accommodation was situated in the towers of the D-shaped gatehouse. Timber buildings, which included a great hall, were erected within the inner ward.

History

A James of St George.

In 1294, Madoc ap Llywelyn, a distant relation of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, began an uprising against English rule that spread quickly through Wales. Several English-held towns were razed and Criccieth (along with Harlech Castle and Aberystwyth Castle) were besieged that winter. Its residents survived until spring when the castle was resupplied.

In the 14th century the castle had a notable later constable called Hywel ap Gryffd who fought for Edward III at the Battle of Crecy in 1346.

The castle was used as a prison until 1404 when Welsh forces captured the castle during the rebellion of Owain Glyndŵr. The Welsh then tore down its walls and set the castle alight. Some stonework still show the scorch marks.

Criccieth was also one of several locations Romantic artist Joseph Mallord William Turner used for his famous series of paintings depicting shipwrecked mariners.

Present day

The castle is maintained by Cadw. It includes exhibits and information on Welsh castles as well as the Anglo-Norman writer Gerald of Wales.

See also

External links

  • Criccieth Castle Information
  • www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Criccieth castle
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.