World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Crystal Springs Air Force Station

Crystal Springs Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Crystal Springs AFS is located in Mississippi
Crystal Springs AFS
Crystal Springs AFS
Location of Crystal Springs AFS, Mississippi
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Code ADC ID: TM-195, NORAD ID: Z-195
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Condition closed
Site history
Built 1958
In use 1958-1968
Garrison information
Garrison 627th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Crystal Springs Air Force Station is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located in Crystal Springs, Mississippi. It was closed in 1968.

Crystal Springs Air Force Station came into existence as part of Phase III of the Air Defense Command Mobile Radar program. On October 20, 1953 ADC requested a third phase of twenty-five radar sites be constructed.

History

627 Radar Squadron patch

The 627th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was assigned on 1 September 1958 and began testing the AN/FPS-27 frequency-diversified search radar. During 1959 Crystal Springs AFS joined the Semi Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) system, initially feeding data to DC-09 at Gunter AFB, Alabama. After joining, the squadron was re-designated as the 627th Radar Squadron (SAGE) on 1 October 1959. The radar squadron provided information 24/7 the SAGE Direction Center where it was analyzed to determine range, direction altitude speed and whether or not aircraft were friendly or hostile.

In addition to the main facility, Crystal Springs operated an AN/FPS-14 Gap Filler site:

  • Summit, MS (TM-195A):

Two height-finder radars, types AN/FPS-6A and AN/FPS-90, were also installed in the early 1960s. The 627th Radar Squadron was inactivated on 6 September 1968 and Crystal Springs AFS was closed due to a draw-down of ADC and budget constraints. The site has been turned into a Job Corps training center by the

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.