World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

D'Youville Academy

Article Id: WHEBN0027847979
Reproduction Date:

Title: D'Youville Academy  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Marie-Marguerite d'Youville
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

D'Youville Academy

D'Youville Academy
250px
D'Youville Academy, March 2012
D'Youville Academy
Location 100 Cornelia St., Plattsburgh, New York
Coordinates

44°41′58″N 73°27′28″W / 44.69944°N 73.45778°W / 44.69944; -73.45778Coordinates: 44°41′58″N 73°27′28″W / 44.69944°N 73.45778°W / 44.69944; -73.45778

Area 2 acres (0.81 ha)
Built ca. 1878
Governing body Private
MPS Plattsburgh City MRA
NRHP Reference # 82001103[1]
Added to NRHP November 12, 1982

D'Youville Academy is a historic school building and nunnery located at Plattsburgh in Clinton County, New York. It was built about 1878 and is a 2 12-story, cruciform plan brick structure on a raised stone foundation. The facade features a rounded 2-story bay, a five gable roof dormer, and Mansard roof. The Academy was founded in 1860 and operated by the Gray Nuns of Ottawa, founded by Saint Marie-Marguerite d'Youville (1701-1771).[2] The Academy has since been folded into the Seton Catholic Central High School.

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.[1]

References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.