Dalguise railway station

The Inverness and Perth Junction Railway was built to link the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway at Forres and Perth and Dunkeld Railway, ultimately absorbing the latter.

History

The Act of Parliament was passed on 22 July 1861, with the line being opened between Dunkeld and Pitlochry on 1 June 1863, between Forres and Aviemore on 3 August 1863 and the final section to Aviemore and Pitlochry on 9 September 1863.

It combined with the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway to form the Highland Railway on 1 February 1865. The line became part of the LMS in 1923.

Aberfeldy Branch

The Aberfeldy Branch was authorised under the original Act of Parliament, being opened on 3 July 1865, just after the formation of the Highland Railway.

Closure

The Aberfeldy Branch was closed on 3 May 1965, just short of its centenary. The line between Forres and Aviemore closed on 11 October 1965.

Strathspey Railway

Following closure of the section north of Aviemore, there were moves to re-open the line between Aviemore and Grantown on Spey (West). The Strathspey Railway has progressively reopened the line north from Aviemore, with the current terminus at Broomhill. They hope to reach Grantown on Spey within the next few years; however, the impressive 1897 station at Grantown on Spey (West) was demolished in the early 1980s and a new terminus will have to be built on an adjacent site.

Connections to other lines

Current operations

The line is still open as part of the Highland Main Line between Dunkeld and Birnam and Aviemore operated by First ScotRail, and as part of the restored Strathspey Railway between Aviemore and Broomhill.

References

  • RAILSCOT on Inverness and Perth Junction Railway
  • RAILSCOT on Aberfeldy Branch of the Highland Railway


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.