World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0002661245
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dalmarnock  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Glasgow, James Allan (musician), Dalmarnock railway station, Lilybank, Glasvegas
Collection: Districts of Glasgow
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Scottish Gaelic: Dail Mheàrnaig
Dalmarnock is located in Glasgow council area
 Dalmarnock shown within Glasgow
OS grid reference
Council area Glasgow City Council
Lieutenancy area Glasgow
Country Scotland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town GLASGOW
Postcode district G40
Dialling code 0141
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK Parliament Glasgow Central
Scottish Parliament Glasgow Shettleston
List of places

Dalmarnock (Scottish Gaelic: Dail Mheàrnaig) is a district in the Scottish city of Glasgow. It is situated north of the River Clyde. It is bounded by the Clyde to the south and east, Parkhead to the north, and Bridgeton at Dunn Street to the north west. The area covers part of a loop in the River Clyde called the Cuningar Loop (known locally as 'The Vallies').


  • Bridges 1
    • Dalmarnock Bridge 1.1
    • Dalmarnock Railway Bridges 1.2
  • History 2
  • Rail 3
  • Education 4
  • Commonwealth Games 5
  • Notable people 6
  • References 7


Dalmarnock Bridge

There is a bridge over the River Clyde on Dalmarnock Road called Dalmarnock Bridge. The first bridge in the area was a wooden one erected in 1821 to connect Rutherglen and Dalmarnock. It was replaced by a new timber bridge in 1841 and in 1891 by the current Dalmarnock Bridge, designed by Glasgow consulting engineers, Crouch & Hogg.

Dalmarnock Railway Bridges

There has also been two railway bridges in Dalmarnock crossing the

  1. ^ "Dalmarnock Railway Bridges". Clyde Waterfront Heritage. Retrieved 11/8/13. 
  2. ^ Dalmarnock Station Overhaul
  3. ^ The Athletes' Village - Glasgow's Bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games


Notable people

From 19 May 2014 to 2 June 2014 BBC One Scotland aired a documentary entitled "Commonwealth City" which showed how the people and community in Dalmarnock have been affected since the games were announced in November 2007. It was narrated by actor Martin Compston.

The Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome is also in the area, at the section of Springfield Road where it intersects London Road.

Dalmarnock is the location for the athletes' village when Glasgow hosts the 2014 Commonwealth Games[3] and proposed skyscraper East One.

Commonwealth Games

The area used to have four schools: Springfield Road Primary, Springfield Primary, Riverside Secondary and Our Lady of Fatima RC Primary School on Springfield Road have now closed. There is a Dalmarnock Primary School situated in the nearby Bridgeton area of the East End of Glasgow and should not be counted in the schools list for the area.


Dalmarnock Railway Station is scheduled to be upgraded in time for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.[2]

Dalmarnock railway station, on the Argyle Line, serves the local area.


After the departure of all local retailers from the area all that remains is a small shop which was set up by the workers in the Community Centre. This has been a welcome boon for the area residents as the nearest shops are not within walking distance. There is a petrol station on Dalmarnock Road and a car wash. There are also a lot of small business units in the Nuneaton Street area and Calder Millerfield which supplies meat based products to the fast food market.

Dalmarnock now, August 2011, has no housing on Ardenlea St / Sunnybank St side of the area, due to the construction in the area pertaining to the Commonwealth Games and City Legacy.

The east side of allan Street was bombed during the Second World War. Most of the Victorian red-sandstone tenements on Dalmarnock Road and Springfield Road were demolished in the '60s and early '70s, although some were renovated. Springfield Road remains the centre of the community, with several retailers and small businesses. In the 1960s, a new housing scheme was built, consisting of four twenty-two storey tower blocks and 'H-block' maisionettes. Two of the towers, 40 & 50 Millerfield Road, were demolished on 3 February 2002. One other tower was demolished on 1 July 2007, and the final one on 9 September 2007.

Victorian sandstone tenements in Ardenlea Street, Dalmarnock that were originally renovated as part of the GEAR (Glasgow East Area Renewal) scheme in the late 1970s, have seen their residents systematically rehoused in recent years, thus being allowed to fall into a dilapidated state once more. They are now planned to be totally demolished as part of the 2014 Commonwealth Games athletes village masterplan by RMJM.

The area was once heavily industrialised. Sir William Arrol & Co. had its extensive engineering works at Dunn Street and Baltic Street from 1873. From its beginnings in boiler making, the firm later became renowned for its achievements in the field of Structural engineering. Amongst the many bridges constructed throughout Britain were the Forth Railway Bridge and Forth Road Bridge, the Humber Bridge and London's Tower Bridge. The company was eventually taken over by Clarke Chapman in 1969 and the Dalmarnock Works closed in 1986. There was also a large coal-fired power station located near Dalmarnock Bridge. It was built by Glasgow Corporation in two stages, with phase one opening in 1920 and phase two in 1926. It was closed in 1977 by the South of Scotland Electricity Board.



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.