World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Darnall engine shed

Article Id: WHEBN0004555718
Reproduction Date:

Title: Darnall engine shed  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Tinsley Motive Power Depot, Woodburn Junction, Neepsend engine shed, Chapeltown Central railway station, Nunnery engine shed
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Darnall engine shed

Darnall engine shed was an engine shed in Darnall, Sheffield. It was built by the London and North Eastern Railway to serve the Sheffield area, passenger trains originating or changing at Sheffield Victoria and goods and pilot workings. The shed was built adjacent to the main line immediately west of Darnall station. British Railways initially allocated the shed code 39B to Darnall, and later 41A, both within the Eastern Region code sequence.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Layout 2
  • Closure 3
  • Locomotives 4
  • References 5

History

Knowing that facilities at Neepsend were too cramped to operate efficiently the L.N.E.R. set about finding a suitable site for new facilities with easy access to their system in Sheffield. A site at Darnall was chosen and planning for the new engine shed commenced in 1936. Opening did not take place until 1943 with much machinery, due to wartime restrictions on new purchase, being brought from Neepsend. Photographs published in the "LNER Journal" showed the new facilities but, due to information restrictions at the time, it was captioned as being "somewhere in the north of England".

Layout

The building was a 10 track straight through brick shed, with a large coaling plant and turntable. After the electrification of the local railways, an electric locomotive shed was also built.

Closure

It closed on 4 October 1965 when Tinsley Marshalling Yard and its depot opened. The depot buildings were then used as a wagon-repair depot until the late 1980s.

Locomotives

Locomotive classes allocated to Darnall in 1952 included:

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.