World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Davis Building

Article Id: WHEBN0011462370
Reproduction Date:

Title: Davis Building  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Dallas, Main Street District, Dallas, Republic Center
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Davis Building

The Davis Building/Republic National Bank 1926
Template:Designation/text
Location 1309 Main St.
Dallas, Texas
Coordinates

32°27′54″N 96°28′49″W / 32.465019°N 96.480172°W / 32.465019; -96.480172Coordinates: 32°27′54″N 96°28′49″W / 32.465019°N 96.480172°W / 32.465019; -96.480172

Area 1.4 acres (0.57 ha)
Built 1926
Architect C.D. Hill & Company
Architectural style Skyscraper
NRHP Reference # 5000243[1]
Significant dates
Added to NRHP March 31, 2005
Designated Template:Designation/abbreviation May 27, 1998

The Davis Building is a 20-story high-rise in downtown Dallas. The building rises to a height of 323 feet (98 m). Responsible for the architectural design C.D. Hill and Co. along with Inge Construction Company. It was completed,

History

In 1925 Republic National Bank was ready to open its doors. On February 15, 1926, Republic National Bank held its first open house. C.D Hill was never able to see his creation due to his death in early January 1926. Then in 1954 the bank had outgrown its space and was moved to the Republic National Bank Building at 300 North Ervay Street. Republic National Bank vacated its premises in December 1954. In June 1954, the 1309 Main St. Building was renamed after being purchased by longtime chairman Wirt Davis, Percy Davis, Charles Sammons, and H. Harrison. In January 1967, plans for major renovation of The Davis Building announced to "modernization" of interiors and to convert the first four levels into and air-conditioned mall, and further expansion of the underground tunnel to connect with One Main Place and The Renaissance Tower.Plans never completely carried through to complete modernization. In August 1986 lenders post The Davis Building in foreclosure for funds equaling 18.5 million dollars In 1991 the building was used in part of the set for the movie Touch and Die featuring Martin Sheen. Hamilton Properties then purchased the building in 1997 with plans for renovation into apartment lofts. In March 2002, construction loans finalized and new construction commenced. The cuppola was lit up for the first time in 2003 since 1954, and first occupancy was available. The newly designed 183 unit lofts in The Davis Building proved to be the only successful renovation for the building.

In May 2011, The Davis Building was purchased by The Bascom Group.

The Davis Building is a Dallas Landmark and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.

References

External links

  • You may see more about The Davis Building by visiting http://www.thedavisbuilding.com


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.